[Jewish] [Mindful Torah] The Dreamer's Other Dream (A Midrash for Parshat Miketz)

Rabbi Steven Nathan rabbisteve.nathan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 00:43:03 EST 2009

Normal.dotm 0 0 1 1552 8850 Hampshire College 73 17 10868 12.0 0 false
18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt
0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New
Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New
Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}
This week’s parashah is Miketz (Genesis/Bereshit 41:1-44:17). The saga
of
Joseph and his brothers continues in this parashah. We read in the
narrative of Joseph interpreting Pharaoh’s dreams, being made vizier of
Egypt and then of his brothers coming to seek food during the famine.

Below is a midrash that I wrote focusing on an imagined dream Joseph
had and what it might have taught him about the nature of identity and
the need to mindful of who we are at any given moment. Some of you may
have read this before, but this is a newly edited version. Comments and
questions are always welcome!

Shabbat Shalom and Happy Last 2 Days of Hanukkah,

Steven

The Dreamer's Other Dream

It had been more than almost a quarter of a century since Joseph was
exiled from his homeland and sold into slavery by his own brothers.
Since then, he had known the pleasure (if you could call it that) of
serving the wealthy as well as the pain of imprisonment and near death.
Now, he was living in a world he had forgotten existed – the world of
freedom. Not only freedom, but also control.

Once again, Joseph was in charge, just as in the old days when he was
his father's favorite and could do no wrong. In those days he really
thought that he was in control of his brothers and everyone around him.
He certainly knew that he had his father wrapped around his little
finger. However, those illusions died the moment he was thrown into the
pit by his brothers and came to realize how little control he had over
anything or anyone - including Joseph, himself!

Now he was lying on silken sheets on a luxurious bed remembering the
past and enjoying the present immensely. Earlier that day he had been
dressed in garments that made the multi-colored cloak his father had
given him seem like peasant's rags. More than that, Pharaoh himself had
placed a signet ring on his hand making him part of Pharaoh’s
household. He had clearly made it to the top simply by interpreting a
couple dreams and suggesting a plan for the future based on them. Yet,
in spite of the day and the comfort of his

bedchamber, he could not sleep. He tossed and turned for hours, unable
to get comfortable. Then finally he drifted off into sleep where he had
a dream of his own. This was the first dream that he could remember
having since the fateful ones he had in Canaan that predicted that his
brothers would some day bow down to him.

In the beginning of the dream Joseph was seated on a throne overseeing
the distribution of food to the hungry that had come to him seeking
sustenance. He felt as if he were seated on the divine throne itself,
but he knew that this was not so. He was too much of flesh and blood,
as were the others who sought him out. Moreover, the throne was of this
world, not in some otherworldly realm.

Suddenly he heard a voice calling out "Zaphenat Paneah." No one
answered. Again, the voice called out "Zaphenat Paneah." Again, no
response. This began to irritate Joseph who finally called out
impatiently "Zaphenat Paneah must respond immediately or there will be
consequences!" All movement ceased, as everyone looked up at Joseph
with a puzzled look and stunned. "Why are you looking at me so
strangely? Why have you all stopped moving?" he asked. Again, there was
a long, unbroken silence. Then a small voice spoke. "My lord, you are
Zaphenat Paneah. Certainly you must know this." It was as if something
struck Joseph in the chest at that very moment. He lost his breath. He
could not speak. Then, with a great deal of struggle, he spoke, "Me? I
am not Zaphenat Paneah! Who dares to speak so impertinently to me?" A
young boy stepped forward, "I do," he said timidly, but with a degree
of certainty. "And who are you?" Joseph asked. The boy looked as
stunned as Joseph had just a minute ago. Then he began to cry
uncontrollably.

Joseph was had no idea what was happening. "Stop crying boy and answer
my question. Who are you? Why do you say that I am Zaphenat Paneah?"
With that, the boy became silent, stepped up to Joseph, removed a ring
from his small finger and put it in Joseph's palm. "This is who I am."
Joseph looked down at the ring. It was clearly the signet ring of a
great man and his house. Around the border of the ring it read, "The
seal of the house of Zaphenat Paneah, vizier of Egypt, right arm of
Pharaoh. " You are Zaphenat Paneah?" Joseph asked. "No," cried the
little boy with a mixture of fear and frustration, "you are, my
father." Joseph felt both rage and confusion, "Me! Do you not think
that I know my own name? I am Joseph, son of Jacob and Rachel. I am not
Zaphenat Paneah and I am certainly not your father!" The young boy then
looked up into Joseph's eyes. His eyes looked so familiar to Joseph,
and yet he did not know why. The boy then stated with firmness, "you
are Zaphenat Paneah, and I am your son, Manasseh."

Manasseh. The name touched something seep within Joseph. Manasseh was a
Hebrew name meaning "the one who made me forget." His head began to
spin. He tried to speak. He tried to move. He could do neither. Joseph
then looked down at the boy’s small brown eyes. Seeing them for the
first time he realized that they were Jacob's eyes. He knew then that
the boy was telling the truth. Yet, how could this be? How could he
have a son and not remember him? And why was he calling him this
strange name?

Joseph then spoke, "Come here my son, and tell me our story? I have
forgotten it." The boy looked confused, but did as he was asked.
Manasseh then told Joseph the story that had told him since he was an
infant. He told him of how Zaphenat Paneah had been born into a special
family in Egypt

in which all the men had served as confidante to Pharaoh. He told his
father that it was he who had foreseen the 7 years of plenty and 7
years of famine, then creating a plan to save the nation from
starvation. He then told his father how he had married Osnat, daughter
of a high priest and how this marriage had been arranged in order to
unite their two powerful families. He also told him of his other
brother Ephraim, who was off somewhere playing with his friends, no
doubt.

The man seated on the throne no longer knew who he was or what to
believe. Was he Joseph or Zaphenat Paneah? Was he the son of nomadic
Hebrews or the son of a privileged Egyptian family? Did he have a wife
and two sons or was he a young, single man who had barely escaped death
and imprisonment? He no longer knew who or what he was.

Then suddenly he heard a familiar voice calling out to
him. "Joseph!” "Hineni – Here I am,” he replied, “though I don’t know
if I really am here." "Yes, you are here," the voice responded. "But,"
Joseph asked, "how do you know that I am Joseph, when I cannot even be
certain of my identity?" The voice replied, "you have responded with
the word Hineni. This is the same word used by your grandfather and
father when I called to them. It is the word you used when your father
last called upon you. And it is the same word that some day will be
used by the man who will lead my people out of Egypt when I first call
upon him to serve me.” " But who am I?" he shouted back to the unseen
voice, "and who are you?"

"I am the God of your mothers and fathers. I am your protector. But,
you are the only one who possesses the answer to your other question. I
can only ask the same question you are asking yourself, who are you?"

At that moment, Joseph awoke. His head was still reeling from
confusion. However, with his eyes open and his mind beginning to clear
he remembered that earlier in the day he had indeed been appointed
second to Pharaoh and had been given the Egyptian name Zaphenat Paneah,
meaning "God speaks, he lives." And so it was that God had spoken to
him in his dream. God had also spoken to him through Pharaoh when
Pharaoh delivered him from jail and then bestowed upon him this new
name. It was indeed because of God that he was alive. It was because
God had been present for him that he could now proclaim "Hineni."

Then he remembered the names of the children in his dream. The young
one with Jacob's eyes with the name Manasseh, he who has made me
forget, and the other, Ephraim, "he has made me fertile." Manasseh and
Ephraim - he knew that these names were themselves prophecies of
warning and of promise. Manasseh's name - and his eyes - were meant to
remind him that, no matter how much he might want to forget the
travails of his life, he could not. They were always to be a part of
him. He had arrived at this point in his life not because he had been
born to Egyptian aristocracy, which would have made his life's story
much simpler. Rather, he had arrived where he was because the hand of
God had guided him and because he was able to follow the path he had
been shown. As long as he remembered that he was Joseph, though
everyone might call him Zaphenat Paneah, then God would see to it that
he would be fertile. God would then guarantee that he would not only
have a family, but that he would continue to grow and increase in
wisdom, knowledge, kindness and holiness, as he was meant to do.

As his father had always been both Israel, the one who struggled with
God, as well as Jacob, the heal-grabber, so now he would always be
Joseph, the one who added joy to his father's life and Zaphenat Paneah,
the one to whom God speaks and whom God protects. He would be both of
Canaan and of Egypt.

Though he never did become totally accustomed to his Egyptian name, he
did follow the path shown to him in his dream that night. Joseph lived
many years in the land of Egypt and was as fertile as the land itself
during the seven years of plenty. He did marry Osnat, the daughter of a
high priest, though of his own free will and not because it was
arranged. And Osnat gave birth to two beautiful boys that he asked be
named Manasseh and Ephraim. Then, at the end of the seven-year period
of plenty, the land dried up, as God had promised, and famine struck
the entire region. With God's guidance Joseph had seen to it that there
was enough food to prevent starvation for the people of Egypt and for
them to provide food for those who sought help from elsewhere.

In Canaan, Jacob, and his children heard of the plenty in Egypt,
collected during the fertile years by the man known as Zaphenat Paneah.
And Israel sent all of his sons down to Egypt for food, except for
Benjamin, the only remaining son of Rachel who remained after Joseph’s
disappearance.

When the brothers finally arrived in Egypt, they did now know whom they
were about to meet. When Zaphenat Paneah saw them enter the great hall
where he dispensed food - and justice - he realized that he was not
sure who was about to meet them either. Nor was he certain what he
would do.

--
Posted By Rabbi Steven Nathan to Mindful Torah at 12/18/2009 12:38:00 AM