[Jewish] invitation from SJP -- this Thursday

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Sun Mar 23 21:40:37 EDT 2008

This is being forwarded to everyone on the JSU and UPZ lists at the request of Dina Jacir of the SJP. I urge you to try to attend.  An open dialogue is important.

This is Dina, one of the signers from Students for Justice in Palestine. Last
week, we met and talked about wanting to invite you guys to an event --
basically, an open dialogue / answering questions and chatting session,
inspired by the heightened intensity of the Israel-Palestine issues on campus,
the faculty panel, the write-ups in the Climax, etc.

We've heard that some people feel uncomfortable asking questions, which is not
something at all good in my book. So we wanted to host a very open,
non-intimidating, non-judgmental dialogue and Q & A for people to come and ask
questions, voice concerns, clear anything up, find out what we're actually
about from us directly, tell us what you think, etc. This will be great to
clear up any misunderstandings that might have occurred. We will have tea and
food, and while we are hoping for UPZ / JSU people to come, this event is open
to anyone and everyone in the Hampshire community who is interested in talking,
so pass it on!

We emphasize that we want this to be very non-intimidating and respectful, and
that we think this is a great opportunity to meet for anyone who feels anything
about SJP. We would love you to come! I will send another email tomorrow to let
you know the exact time and room, but is this Thursday, and will probably be at
7pm in FPH rm. 108.

See you there!

Peace,

Dina

--

Steve Nathan

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi and

Interim LGBTQ Advisor

Hampshire College

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-6234

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."

-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel