[Jewish] Going off campus for Shabbat Dinner - a little more info

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Thu Nov 15 13:32:56 EST 2007

As Gideon e-mailed all of you last night, we will be going to the Jewish
Community of Amherst (JCA) - the local Reconstructionist synagogue - for
services and dinner tomorrow night.  JCA is a very welcoming and relaxed
congregation so you don't need to worry about any kind of a dress code
(just no costumes, as it's not Halloween or Purim :-D ).

The service this week will be held in their small sanctuary and begins
at 6:15. We need to leave at 6:00 so we don't arrive late and disturb
those already there.  This week's service is primarily singing, chanting
and some silent meditation.  There will be transliteration, so you don't
need to read Hebrew in order to attend. Also I'm sure there will be many
niggunim (songs without words) that we can all participate in.  It will
be led by Larry Fine, professor of Jewish Studies at Mt. Holyoke.  There
will also be a family service in the main sanctuary and everyone will
join together for a potluck Shabbat dinner afterwards.  Our contribution
will be veggie food from Fresh Side (where else!).

So remember to let Gideon know by early tomorrow if you're going, so we
can let them know how many students to expect).  I know the congregation
and Rabbi David Bauer (who is also my partner) are looking forward to
having us as their guests.
--

Steve Nathan

PS  If you can't make it to the Spiritual Life Center by 6:00 and you
have your own car (or you can get a ride) the directions are simple.
Take 116 North into town.  Take a right on Main Street.  Go past the
Emily Dickinson house and towards the bottom of the hill on your LEFT
you will see the sign for Jewish Community of Amherst.  Just turn in
there and go around to the parking lot.  When you go into the building
turn left and go through the social hall to the small sanctuary.

If you get to light at the bottom of the hill (intersection with South
East street) you've gone too far and need to turn around.

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi and

Interim LGBTQ Advisor

Hampshire College

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-6234

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."

-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel