[Jewish] Wed. Lunch with R Arik Ascherman

Rabbi Kevin Hale kjhgu at hampshire.edu
Tue Dec 5 23:37:09 EST 2006

The lunchtime meeting with Rabbi Arik Ascherman, Exec. Dir. of Rabbis for HUman
Rights, will be tomorrow, Wednesday, at noon at Saga.  I'll probably reserve a
table in the quieter middle room, but if not there then in the back room where
the Hebrew table (normally at that time) takes place. Arik is in the Valley
prior to leading the First North American Rabbinic Conference on Judaism &
Human Rights in New York  December 10-12 (info on open sessions below)

BTW I first met Arik when I lived in Berkeley in 1991-2, prior to rabbinical
school. At the time he served (if I remember correctly) as Hillel rabbi at
Univ. of California at Davis.

If you're not on the meal plan, lunch is on us. Just check in with Roberta, let
her know you're here for the Hebrew/Spiritual Life table, and she'll ask you to
sign in.

I'll be in the Spiritual Life office from about 10:00 til the lunch with Arik.

Til tomorrow

Rabbi Kevin
587-0506
------------------------------------

RABBIS FOR HUMAN RIGHTS PUBLIC EVENTS

NEW YORK CITY, DECEMBER 10-12, 2006

Rabbis for Human Rights-North America is hosting the First North American
Rabbinic Conference on Judaism & Human Rights in New York City from December
10-12, 2006. The full conference is open to rabbis, cantors, and rabbinic and
cantorial students.

The following sessions will be open to the public:

SHEDDING LIGHT ON HUMAN RIGHTS: A RITUAL CELEBRATION OF THE UNIVERSAL
DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS

Conference Opening/Sunday, December 10, 2-3 p.m.

Held in conjunction with International Human Rights Day, a public ritual to open
the RHR-NA conference. Led by Rabbi Ellen Lippmann, Rabbi David Shneyer and
Rabbi Michael Strassfeld the celebration will include Jewish prayers, songs,
testimonies and ethical teachings linked to the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights and the festival of Chanukah.

Dag Hammarskjöld Plaza at the United Nations. Second Avenue at East 47th
Street/adjacent to the United Nations, New York City. EVENT IS FREE

INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY: A DIALOGUE ON JUDAISM & HUMAN RIGHTS IN OUR TIME

Conference Keynote Address, Sunday, December 10, 7-9 p.m.

Dr. Moshe Halbertal, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Ruth Messinger, American
Jewish World Service, Ken Roth, Human Rights Watch. GENERAL ADMISSION: $18

TORTURE IN OUR TIME: A Panel Discussion

Monday, December 11, 2-3:40 p.m.

Brigadier General James Cullen, (Ret. USA), Elisa Massimino, Human Rights First,
Sister Dianna Ortiz, Torture Abolition and Survivors Support Coalition
International, Michael Ratner, Center for Constitutional Rights. GENERAL
ADMISSION: $18

Events listed above are all held at the UJA-Federation Conference Facility,130
East 59th Street @ Lexington Avenue, New York City.

Click here for more info or to register online http://www.acteva.com/go/RHRNA

INAUGURAL RAPHAEL LEMKIN HUMAN RIGHTS AWARDS:

TO DO WHAT IS JUST & RIGHT/L'ASOT TZEDAKAH U'MISHPAT

Monday, December 10, 8-10 p.m.

Congregation Rodeph Sholom, 7 West 83rd Street @ Central Park West, New York
City

Honoring: B'Tselem: The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the
Occupied Territories Center for Constitutional Rights

RHR Founders Rabbis Ben Hollander, David Forman and David Rosen.

Master of ceremonies Dr. Leonard Fein. Musical performance by Alicia Svigals.

Presentations by Peter Edelman, Hon. Elizabeth Holtzman, Letty Cottin Pogrebin,
Rabbi David Saperstein

ADMISSION INFORMATION: Tickets $150/regular; $75/limited income $36/students not
registered for the conference.

Click here for more information or to reserve tickets
http://www.acteva.com/go/RHRNA

If you have time, here's how you can help:

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS TO ASSIST WITH ALL THESE EVENTS

Prior event/conference or Jewish community volunteer experience preferred but
not necessary. If you can spare 4 or more hours of time on December 10, 11 or
12, please contact our New York conference office at 212-514-6171 or
conference at rhr-na.org.

For more information about any of the above go to www.rhr-na.org