[Jewish] Jewish Women Changing America: Cross-Generational Conversations

Lexi Light adl02 at hampshire.edu
Thu Oct 20 19:02:36 EDT 2005

This is a conference going on at Barnard motzi shabbos on the 29th and
all day on the 30th.  Registration was closed this past friday, but
with a phone call, we may be able to get a few of us on the list.
There are some amazing names speaking!  It is the day after hamp
halloween, but if fellow JSUers wanted to go down for it, we could load
a car midday on saturday and attend.  I even can offer a place to stay
in the city!
Let me know if you're interested!

Program

Saturday, 29 October

JEWISH WOMEN & THE AMERICAN MAINSTREAM

Opening Night Panel Discussion, 8:00 PM

We begin this remarkable conference with an evening plenary aimed at
understanding Jewish women's contributions to the American mainstream.
After thirty years of vibrant, vigorous feminist activism, we'll
explore the advances Jewish women have made both within their own
Jewish communities and as part of larger struggles for social justice
and equality. Temple University Professor Laura Levitt leads a
discussion with some of today's most thoughtful and distinctive voices
in Jewish activism, culture, politics and scholarship. It's a rare
opportunity to consider the directions in which Jewish feminism has
gone over the last three decades, the nature of the cross-roads at
which we now stand, and where, in the future, we might yet go.

PARTICIPANTS:

*	Katya Gibel Azoulay, author of Black, Jewish & Interracial: It's Not
the Color of Your Skin but the Race of Your Kin, and Other Myths of
Identity
*	Liz Holtzman, former Congresswoman from Brooklyn
*	Lisa Jervis, Editor, Bitch magazine
*	Letty Cottin Pogrebin, a founding editor of Ms. magazine; author of
Deborah, Golda, and Me: Being Female and Jewish in America
*	Nancy Schwartzman, filmmaker, Between Us; founder,
NYC-safestreets.org; and Creative Director, Heeb magazine

MODERATOR:

*	Laura Levitt, Associate Professor of Religion and Jewish Studies,
Temple University

Sunday, 30 October

CHANGING JEWISH COMMUNITIES

Panel 1, 10:00 - 11:30 AM

Reflecting a wealth of diversity, Jewish communities are built around
distinct national, racial and ethnic identifications, differing sexual
desires and family structures, divergent political and religious
ideologies. This panel will examine how these boundaries have changed
over time, and how feminists have contributed to these changes. By
frankly discussing how various Jewish communities embrace (or insist on
resisting) change, we'll envision new forms of community that promise
Jewish women fuller lives in both the public and private spheres.

PARTICIPANTS:

*	Shifra Bronznick, Founding President, Advancing Women Professions and
the Jewish Community
*	Sally Gottesman, Chair, Moving Traditions
*	Melanie Kaye/Kantrowitz, activist, writer and founder of Jews for
Racial and Economic Justice
*	Khadijah Miller, Assistant Professor of Interdisciplinary Studies,
Norfolk State
*	Gina Nahai, author, Cry of the Peacock and Moonlight on the Avenue of
Faith

MODERATOR:

*	Paula Hyman, Lucy G. Moses Professor of Modern Jewish History, Yale
University

CHANGING JUDAISM

Panel 2, 1:00 - 2:30 PM

No discussion of Jewish community building would be complete without
careful consideration of the ways in which denominational lines help to
order and organize culture, political and religious life. In this
panel, feminists activists committed to fostering change in religious
contexts speak with distinguished scholars whose work produces the
historical and conceptual work necessary for understanding,
strategizing and effecting such change.

PARTICIPANTS:

*	Rabbi Sue Levi Elwell, Regional Director, PA Council, Union for
Reform Judaism
*	Judith Hauptman, E. Billi Ivry Professor of Talmud and Rabbinics,
Jewish Theological Seminary
*	Norma Joseph, Associate Professor of Religion, Concordia University
*	Lori Lefkovitz, Director of Kolot, Center for Jewish Women's and
Gender Studies
*	Danya Ruttenberg, author, Yentl's Revenge: Third Wave Jewish Feminism

MODERATOR:

*	Judith Plaskow, Professor of Religious Studies, Manhattan College

CHANGING CULTURE

Panel 3, 3:00 - 4:30 PM

Jewish feminists and queers have often provided the most insightful
critiques of American and Jewish cultures. Their voices are
particularly vibrant in contemporary art, literature and performance,
where the possibilities of new communities are boldly imagined in
alternative magazines, theaters and social spaces. In this panel,
artists, activists and scholars examine not only the purpose and scope
of these creative acts, but also their political implications.

PARTICIPANTS:

*	Rebbetzin Hadassah Gross, international lecturer and motivational
speaker
*	Rachel Havrelock, Assistant Professor of Jewish Studies, University
of Illinois at Chicago
*	Faith Jones, Bridges magazine
*	Irena Klepfisz, poet, translator and Adjunct Associate Professor of
Women's Studies, Barnard College
*	Alisa Solomon, Director of the Arts Concentration, Columbia
University Graduate School of Journalism

MODERATOR:

*	Naomi Scheman, Professor of Philosophy, University of Minnesota