[Jewish] tzedakah proposal

Alexis Light adl02 at hampshire.edu
Wed Feb 9 11:08:52 EST 2005

Hey jew crew!
	I have a proposal.  We've talked a lot in the past about having a
group tzedakah project, especially to give some spare change before
shabbat each week.  So, starting this week, I hope to have a JSU
tzedakah box in the kosher mod.  What we ask is to donate (pennies
even) if you are comfortable and able, but please dont feel pressured.
Also, that you dont put money in once shabbat has begun.  I know that
in some traditions there is a grace period between candle lighting and
when it is no longer okay to touch money for tzedakah, so more to come
on how long after candle lighting you can put in the box (for right
now, assume you can't once the candles have been lit.)
	I have also taken the initiative to decided the money from this
semester will go to the Heifer foundation, a really kick ass
organization.  To learn more about them, check out
http://www.heifer.org/.  The reason i have chosen them is because i
feel they fit in well with a lot of Hampshire's theories of
empowerment, sustainability and nature.  And i feel that if we're going
to give to a box we should have some idea of what will be done with the
box (in case it doesn't match our personal beliefs and we want no part
in it).  For future semesters we will make a decision as a JSU, but i
want this to finally happen for now and not just be talk.
	And feel free to let me know if you think this a horrible/wonderful
idea.  I promise not to past judgment and keep all comments anonymous.

Here is a little more information on tzedakah:
the info comes from http://www.jewfaq.org/tzedakah.htm, check it out
for more.
Giving to the poor is an obligation in Judaism, a duty that cannot be
forsaken even by those who are themselves in need. Some sages have said
that tzedakah is the highest of all commandments, equal to all of them
combined, and that a person who does not perform tzedakah is equivalent
to an idol worshipper. Tzedakah is one of the three acts that gain us
forgiveness from our sins. The High Holiday liturgy states that G-d has
inscribed a judgment against all who have sinned, but teshuvah
(repentance), tefilah (prayer) and tzedakah can reverse the decree.

Certain kinds of tzedakah are considered more meritorious than others.
The Talmud describes these different levels of tzedakah, and Rambam
organized them into a list. The levels of charity, from the least
meritorious to the most meritorious, are:

1.	Giving begrudgingly
2.	Giving less that you should, but giving it cheerfully.
3.	Giving after being asked
4.	Giving before being asked
5.	Giving when you do not know the recipient's identity, but the
recipient knows your identity
6.	Giving when you know the recipient's identity, but the recipient
doesn't know your identity
7.	Giving when neither party knows the other's identity
8.	Enabling the recipient to become self-reliant