[Jewish] Fwd: News for Jews at UMass from Hillel

Beth Deal batumtn at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 15:29:43 EDT 2003

> NEWS FOR JEWS - September 10, 2003> www.umasshillel.org> > CONTENTS> 1. Sign up for Rosh Hashana Meals. Deadline THIS WEEK!> 2. WABBY's CAFE is OPEN!!> 3. Need one-credit? Check out Hillel's GREAT 1-credit offerings!> 4. EVENTS for Sept. 10-17>         9/10  Jewish Student Business Leadership Meeting>         9/10  JRUSSIA's Kick-Off Soccer Party>         9/10  Jewish Off Campus Connection BBQ>         9/12  Shabbat Services: Conservative and Reform>                 followed by dinner (free to UMass students)>         9/13  Shabbat Lunch (free to UMass students)>         9/14  Volunteer with Tzedek Hillel- Social Justice Initiative> Group>         9/15  Kehilat Hillel Haazinu Morning Minyan>         9/15  Jewish Student Union Meeting>         9/15  Qeshet Queer Get Together>         9/15  Go to Israel Free! Info Meeting>         9/16  All about Kashrut!  Learning Session>         9/17  Bachutz Outdoors Group Planning Meeting>         9/17  Beit Caffee Night> >
 &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&> > 1. SIGN UPS FOR ROSH HASHANA & YOM KIPPUR MEALS....>     RH  DINNER on Friday, September 26, 8:30pm>     Cost: Free for UMass students; $9.50 all other>     Sign-up required by Sept. 10!! to Hillel House 549-1710.> >     RH  LUNCH on Saturday, September 27, 1pm, Hillel House>     Cost: Free for UMass students; $7 all others>     Sign up required by Sept. 10!! to Hillel House 549-1710> >     RH  DINNER on Saturday, September 27, 8:30pm, Hillel House>     Cost: $9.50>     Sign-up and prepay required by Sept. 10!! to Hillel House> 549-1710.> >     RH  LUNCH  on Sunday, September 28, 2pm, Hillel House>     Cost: $7>     Sign-up and prepay required by Sept. 10!! to Hillel House> 549-1710.> > >     YK  Pre Yom Kippur Dinner on Sunday, October 5, 5pm, Hillel House>     Cost: $9.50>     Sign-up and prepay required by Sept. 17!! to Hillel House> 549-1710.> >     YK  Break-the-Fast Meal on Monday, October 6, 7:30pm, Hillel> House>     Cost: $9.50>     Sign-up
 and prepay required by Sept. 17!! to Hillel House> 549-1710.> > > &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&> 2. WABBY'S CAFE IS NOW OPEN!!> A wonderful new eatery has opened downstairs at the Hillel House. Go> for lunch or dinner or just a snack. Check it out at www.umasshillel.org/wabbys.htm> > > &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&> 3. NEED A CREDIT?> Check out the great courses Hillel is offering this semester:> JS 191D  From Stickball & Kugel to Baseball& Apple Pie: The American> Jewish Experience in Film> Instructor: Deborah Bromberg Seltzer Wed., 4:40-6:30 p.m., 7-2 hr> sessions This course will explore images of the American Jewish experience through a chronological examination of films and their trends and raise questions about Jewish life in America.> > JS 191E From Abraham to Oslo: A Brief History of the Middle East> Instructor: Tal Ben-Shahar Tues., 7-9 p.m., 7-2 hr sessions> This course introduces students to the essential history of the Middle East conflict, so that they can gain a just
 and honest understanding of the current situation. The main themes that the course will cover are Jewish presence in the Middle East over the last 3,000 years, the birth and expansion of Islam, Jewish and other minorities under Islamic rule, ancient and modern Zionism, the birth of Israel, and Jewish and Palestinian refugees. In the context of the Middle East, students will discuss the notion of a civil society, individual rights, justice, compassion, truth, and rationality. The course will meet seven times throughout the semester.> > > JS 191F Ishmael and Isaac: One God; Two Brothers; Parallel Stories> Instructors: Susan Moser, Merav Kalfon Mon., 3:35-4:45 p.m. Abraham was the father of both Ishmael and Isaac, the predecessors of the Arab and Jewish peoples. According to the texts, they are brothers; historically they’ve been rivals. Their trials and tribulations have been recorded in the sacred texts: the Hebrew Bible and the Koran. Through a close reading of passages from both
 traditions, we will encounter Abraham, Hagar and Sarah, Ishmael, Isaac and others and examine the defining moments in their lives. In this class we will read, discuss and reenact the historical drama, bring old stories to life and gain new insights into age-old conflicts.> > JS 191J  The Holocaust and other Genocides> Instructor: John Yaun Mon., 6-7:15 p.m.> This course looks at the genocidal actions of the Third Reich during> the Holocaust and compares it to other genocides. It will show how the Holocaust was unique and different in the way the process was conducted, and how it was a result of Hitler’s antisemitism and thousands of years of deep rooted Christian anti-Semitism.> > &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&> 4. EVENTS for Wednesday, Sept. 10-17> > Wednesday, September 10> Business Leadership Meeting, 7pm, Hillel House> For Jewish business students. Come find out about the Business> Leadership Initiative. Meet other Jewish business students and learn from local Jewish business
 leaders.> > JRUSSIA's Kick-Off Soccer Party, 4:30pm, Meet in front of Blue Wall> Play soccer. Meet new people. All welcome. For info: Mark at> mgruman at student.umass.edu. (rain or shine)> > Jewish Off-Campus Connection BBQ> 5:30pm, 35 N. Whitney Street> THis group invites you to welcome back BBQ. Enjoy good food, meet> other Jewish students living off campus and let's brainstorm about what we want to do with JOCC. RSVP for directions to Jenn at jaronson at student.umass.edu of Josh at jmfeldma at student.umass.edu> > Thursday, September 11> Muslim Religious Leaders from Uzbekistan to Visit Hillel> 11:30am, Hillel House,> These 10 immams are visithing Amherst through the ITD -- Institute> for Training and Development, an international education organization.> Come meet them and join in an informal discussion. For more information contact Susan at smoser at external.umass.edu.> > Friday, September 12> Shabbat Services, 6pm, Hillel House, Conservative and Reform> Dinner, 7:15pm, Hillel House
 Downstairs at Wabby's> Meal is free to UMass students.> > Saturday, September 13> Lunch, 1pm, Hillel House   Meal is free for UMass students> > Sunday, September 14> VOLUNTEER with TZEDEK HILLEL Social Justice Initiative> 12noon, Meet at Hillel House> All are welcome to come and be involved. For more info contact> Jillian jmarcus at student.umass.edu> > Monday, September 15> Kehilat Hillel Haazinu - 7:45am, Hillel House> > Jewish Student Union MTG - 7pm, Campus Center Rm TBA> All are welcome. For info: cmoy at student.umass.edu> > Qeshet Queer Get Together, 5pm, Hillel House> If you're a Queer or Questioning Jew, come out to Qeshet, the> 5-College Rainbow Group. Join us for hor d'oervres and a chance to meet each other. Share ideas for the coming year.> > Go to Israel FREE!!, 7pm, Hillel House> Want to ride a camel? Float in the Dead Sea? Scale the heights of> Masada? Drop a note in the Western Wall? Ifd you are Jewish and between the ages of 18 and 26 and have never been on a peer-group
 trip to Israel...Birthright Israel is for you! Attend this session or the one on Tuesday 9/30 at 7pm.> > Tuesday, September 16> Kehilat Hillel Haazinu Learning Session - Kashrut,  7pm, Hillel House> Ever wonder where we get the rule of not mixing milk with meat? Find> out this and more. All welcome.> > Wednesday, September 17> Bachutz Planning MTG (Outdoors Group), 6pm, Hillel House> Help plan our outdoor adventures for the semester. TAke advantage of> this opportunity to put your agenda on the table.> > Beit Caffee,  7pm, Hillel House> Food, drinks, music and friends. Smoke hooka and play backgammon.> Sponsor: Student Alliance for Israel>