[Jewish] March 5th

ehw99 at hampshire.edu ehw99 at hampshire.edu
Thu Feb 27 16:19:07 EST 2003

Student groups,

The last couple of weeks have been hectic at Student Action in effort to
organize an anti-war event in conjunction with the March 5th international
student strike day advocating "Books not Bombs," education over military
spending. The day has been called by the National Student and Youth Peace
Coalition. In our effort to coordinate a teach-in for March 5th we got
overwhelmed by the scope of the event. As a result we poorly communicated our
intentions for the day. We realize that we didn't ask what your groups wanted
out of the day. It is everyones. If there is anyway your student group would
like to shape the day and event, please contact us, we are coordinators only.

You may have been contacted already for your groups endorsement of the student
strike, these are important because they send a clearer message to the media
and the schools administration. Please discuss these endorsements within
your groups. Specific information about the coalition and demands can be found
at www.nyspc.net. The endorsements are just one small way to make the strike
your own. Some of the other possible ways to do something for this day would
include speaking at the teach-in (ie how are the politics of your
student group effected by the war), reading poetry, tabling for your group,
playing music, having a banner for your group etc. Also the teach-in is not
solidified and if you have an idea about how it should be run please contact
us. Hampshire is just one of other colleges and high schools in the valley who
is doing something. Later in the day students will gather at UMass to march
into Amherst as a coalition.

We are in the process of compiling a list of growing faculty speakers for the
teach-in at Hampshire. There will be an on going art activities, coffee and
bagels, poetry readings, and more in the coming.

We apologize if this event has come off as a closed Student Action event, and
are continuing to work on the style and approach of our organizing. We are
interested in your thoughts and look forward to talking with
you.

ps please decide by MONDAY if you would like to do something.
email endorsements to jdwingo1 at yahoo.com

Thank you

Ahlena 253-8060
Elisabeth x4811