[HSU-CoordBoardInternal] Facilitation Training

Dina Spanbock drs09 at hampshire.edu
Mon Oct 21 19:17:01 EDT 2013

I joined what turned into the HSU via the creation process that began
3-4 years ago. I joined that process because I had served on Community
Council, seen that fail, and was hopeful and excited for what a
Hampshire student governance system could be. I believe in student
voice and shared governance, a value I have held for a long time but
was brought to the forefront after joining Re-Rad, a student group
dedicated to keeping Hampshire true to its roots, in my first week of
attending Hampshire. I joined the Coordinating Board really because I
was interested in helping co-coordinate the Scope Group on Academics,
which then needed a representative to CoordBoard, and not so much
because I was interested in CoordBoard itself. My interest in
academics as an issue about which to be active in the Hampshire
community stems from my own experiences, my position on the EPC
(Educational Policy Committee), and my involvement in Re-Rad movements
that addressed academic issues.

I hope that by the end of this year, the HSU will be fully functional.
This does not mean that there will be no kinks, but rather that we
will have a way to address those kinks as they come up and still
accomplish our purviews (much of which CoordBoard more or less has
been, by continuing to put on Town Meetings and direct
individuals/proposals to scope groups). The issue has not been (in my
view) that we do not get these things done. While it is true we could
do a better job of what we do, the main issue, in my mind, is that
doing these things is a very unpleasant experience. I would like for
people to want to come to meetings and be involved, which of course
will only happen if the meetings are at least semi-enjoyable (unlike
now), so my goal is to improve the meetings and get more students
involved. I also hope that I can leave the HSU and Hampshire (as I am
graduating this May) with the belief that it will move forward and is
in good hands. I want to feel okay leaving it, and not that I will end
up watching it burn to the ground as an alum.

-Dina