[Haiti_action] Friday

Liza Neal lneal at hampshire.edu
Tue Feb 2 12:17:55 EST 2010

*Tickets are on sale NOW at Food for Thought Books. Suggested Donation:
$ 25.00 - 12.00** (we encourage you to purchase a seat even if you
cannot attend)*

We are so proud to present this evening of powerful voices that join us
as we honor the legacy of resistance in the Haitian community.

Featuring: Djola Branner, Myriam Chancy, Dee Dee Desir, Martin Espada,
Jean Dany Joachim, Lenelle Moise and Patrick Sylvain with the
soul-stirring music of REBIRTH.

Tickets are available at Food for Thought Books. There is a suggested
donation per ticket of $ 25.00 -12.00. Community members are encouraged
to support the fundraising effort by purchasing seats even if they are
unable to attend. There will be an additional ask during the evening.

Resistance is passion,
it's taking a stand,
helping a friend,
helping a stranger,
sharing food in community,
speaking up,
speaking out,
speaking your truth.

Resistance is
also
envisioning the world we want to live in,
remembering our histories,
creating a world filled with justice,
never giving up
&
MAKING CHANGE

Proceeds will benefit: http://www.standwithhaiti.org/haiti

Djola Branner, MFA is Assistant Professor of Theatre at Hampshire
College and an interdisciplinary theater artist who combines movement,
sound, and light to create portraits of contemporary life for the stage.
Cofounder of the critically acclaimed performance group Pomo Afro Homos,
he toured extensively with their shows Fierce Love: Stories of Black Gay
Life and Dark Fruit. He has created such shows as Sweet Sadie and The
House That Crack Built. Publications include such journals and
anthologies as XXZYVA and Colored Contradictions, A Guide to the
Collaborative Process.

Myriam Chancy, Ph. D., is a Haitian writer/scholar born in
Port-au-Prince, Haiti, and educated in Québec City, Winnipeg, Halifax
and Iowa City. Her first novel, Spirit of Haiti (Mango 2003), was a
finalist in the Best First Book Category, Canada/Caribbean region, of
the Commonwealth Prize 2004. She is also the author of Framing Silence:
Revolutionary Novels by Haitian Women (Rutgers 1997) and Searching for
Safe Spaces: Afro-Caribbean Women Writers in Exile (Temple 1997; Choice
OAB Award, 1998). She is Professor of English at the University of
Cincinnati.

Dominique "DeeDee" Desir is a student at Hampshire College where she
serves Community Council Chair. She is the founding member of The Urban
Word a performance based group focused on all aspects of spoken word.
 From her bio: "I am never bound by what others think of me. I am here
to build, develop and strengthen our abilities. I am of Haitian
background and of a Haitian American up bring. My culture and my past
servers as my tutor; and I mentor young girls and boys because there
lies the future."

Martín Espada, called "the Latino poet of his generation" and "the Pablo
Neruda of North American authors," he has published sixteen books in all
as a poet, editor, essayist and translator, including; Crucifixion in
the Plaza de Armas (Smokestack, 2008), La Tumba de Buenaventura Roig
(Terranova, 2008), The Republic of Poetry, (Norton, 2006), Imagine the
Angels of Bread (Norton, 1996), which won an American Book Award and was
a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award. Espada is now a
professor in the Department of English at the University of
Massachusetts-Amherst, where he teaches creative writing and the work of
Pablo Neruda.

Jean-Dany Joachim grew up surrounded by poets in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
He wrote his first poem at age 14, and his writing became a way to give
voice to the life of his country. He moved to Cambridge 16 years ago and
began writing in English, while also exploring poetry in other
languages. His work has appeared in; A Review of Poetry (Runes), Lovers'
Sweet Nothings, A Secret Anthology (Arctos Press) Mémoire d'encrier;
Love and Other poems (Trilingual Press). Joachim has been the director
of the Sunset Poetry Series at Bunker Hill Community College for over 10
years.

Lenelle Moise - is a "culturally hyphenated pomosexual poet" who creates
jazz-infused, hip-hop bred, politicized texts about Haitian-American
identity and the intersection of race, class, gender, sexuality,
spirituality and resistance. Her essays are featured in several
anthologies, including: WORD WARRIORS: 35 Women Leaders in the Spoken
Word Revolution and We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next
Generation of Feminists.

Patrick Sylvain- is a Haitian-American writer, educator, lecturer and
photographer who lives and teaches in Massachusetts. He received his
Ed.M. from the Harvard University Graduate School of Education and has
been published in African American Review, Agni, American Poetry
Anthology, American Poetry Review, The Best of Beacon, 1999, Butterfly's
Way, Callaloo, Caribbean Writers, Confrontation, Crab Orchard Review,
Haitian Times, Kestrel, Massachusetts Review, Open Gate, Ploughshares,
Revue Noire and Step Into the World. His latest book, Love, Lust & Loss/
Lanmou, anvi ak pèdans, was published by Mémoire d'Encrier in October 2005.

REBIRTH: The band born from the "Culture Shock" network, represents a
merging of voices inspired by Julius D. Ford and featuring percussion,
wind instruments, mc's and vocalists.

"Haiti Will Rise Again" image created by Eastside Art Alliance
<http://www.eastsideartsalliance.com/>.

Community Collaborators for this event include:
Youth Action Coalition <http://www.youthactioncoalition.org/>and TRGGR
Media Group <http://trggradio.wordpress.com/>.

Location:
Food For Thought Books