[GEO] GEO Weekly Digest

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Tue Feb 14 15:52:56 EST 2012

Happy Valentine’s Day! Get swept away by the romance of living and
adventuring in another country in this edition of the GEO weekly digest.

Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available
online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, then click on
"GEO Archives".

_**_

_**_

_*Contents*_

*>>Navigating Study Abroad(Start here!)<<*

*>>Upcoming GEO Events<<*

- Funding Study Abroad Info Session – February 16^th

- Slow Food in Italy Info Session – February 20^th

- Cross Cultural Solutions Info Table – February 21^st

*>>Save the Date: Study Abroad Deadlines – Spring 2012<<*

**

- ISEP Exchange Priority Deadline (Fall 2012) – TOMORROW February 15^th

- Fall 2012 Exchange Program Deadline – March 8^th

- May/Summer Program Deadline – March 8^th

- Field Study Application Deadline – April 13^th

- Enrollment Notification Deadline – April 13th

*>>Scholarship Deadlines<<*

- Freeman ASIA Scholarship Online Application Due – TOMORROW February 15^th

- Gilman Scholarship Deadline – March 1^st *
*

*
> >Program Spotlight<<*

- Teaching Opportunity for Graduating Students

- Politics or Renewable Energy in Berlin

- Peace and Conflict Resolution in London and Amman

- Summer Peacebuilding Program for Graduating Students

- Study or Intern in Europe with Experiences Abroad

- Study Jazz and the African Diaspora in Paris this Summer

**

*>>GEO Resources<<*

-GEO Information

----------- Navigating Study Abroad -----------

***Study Abroad Info Session | Every Thursday 4PM | Merrill Living Room***

These weekly sessions are the perfect place to start getting ready to
study abroad. Types of programs, financial aid, integration with your
academics, logistics, and all other major topics will be covered.

------------Upcoming GEO Events-------------

*>>Funding Study Abroad Info Session<<*

Thursday, 2/16

FPH Faculty Lounge

Noon-1:00PM

Financial Aid, Scholarships, Grants. Find out how you can make studying
abroad a reality.

*>>Slow Food in Italy Info Session<<*

Monday, 2/20

Cole Science, Room 333

6:00PM

Come find out about this Hampshire faculty led summer program. The
syllabus includes aceto balsamico tradizionale, chest-nuts, coppa,
culatelo, eels, mortadella, olive oil, Parmigiano Reggiano, porcini
mushrooms, prosciutto di Parma, sal from Cervia, tortellinim zampone,
and so much more!

*>>Cross Cultural Solutions Info Table<<*

Tuesday, 2/21

Dinning Commons

Noon-1:30PM

Cross-Cultural Solutions mobilizes volunteers to serve abroad and help
address critical global issues in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and
Latin America. Come find out more about this amazing opportunity!

---------- Study Abroad Deadlines ----------

> >*ISEP Exchange Priority Deadline (Fall 2012)<<*

TOMORROW Wednesday, 2/15

For students planning to study abroad through ISEP Exchange during the
fall 2012, this is a *priority* deadline, applications are accepted on a
rolling basis.

*>>Fall 2012 Exchange Program Deadline<<*

Thursday, 3/8

Students planning to study abroad during the Fall 2012 semester will
need to submit their materials to the GEO office by 4:30 on this date.

*>>May/Summer Program Deadline<<*

Thursday, 3/8

Students planning to study abroad on a Hampshire College May/Summer
course will need to submit their materials to the GEO office by 4:30 on
this date.

*>>Field Study Application Deadline<<*

Friday 4/13

Students who are planning to go on a field study course during the Fall
2012 semester will need to have submitted their completed and signed
materials to the CASA and GEO offices by the end of the day.

*>>Enrollment Notification Deadline<<*

Friday 4/13

This is the deadline for students to notify the college that they will
not be studying on Hampshire campus during the Fall 2012 semester.

-----------Scholarship Deadlines-----------

*>>Freeman ASIA Scholarship Online Application Due<<*

TOMORROW Wednesday, 2/15

American undergraduates studying abroad in East or Southeast Asia should
consider applying for the Freeman ASIA scholarship. This need based
scholarship can be applied to the many costs associated with studying
abroad.

For more information, visit:

http://www.iie.org/en/programs/freeman-asia

*>>Gilman Scholarship Deadline<<*

Thursday, 3/1

The Gilman Scholarship program offers a number of awards to American
undergraduates studying abroad. The goal of this scholarship is to
increase the diversity of students studying abroad by supporting
students who would otherwise not go abroad due to financial constraints.

For more information, visit:

http://www.iie.org/en/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program

----------- Highlight – Summer Programs -----------

*>>Teaching Opportunity for Graduating Students<<*

Deadline to Apply – April 1, 2012. Admissions are rolling!

WorldTeach is currently accepting applications to teach in American
Samoa, Micronesia, or the Marshall Islands. Graduating students will
have the opportunity to teach in one of a variety of subjects at any
level from kindergarten to college. These programs are fully-funded,
meaning that airfare, room and board, health insurance, training,
in-country field support, and a monthly stipend are all included!
WorldTeach allows students to gain valuable experience while helping
bring education to resource-poor regions around the world.

For more information, visit:

www.worldteach.org <http://www.worldteach.org>*

> >Politics or Renewable Energy in Berlin<<*Deadline to Apply - April
1^st , 2012

Cultural Vistas is currently accepting applications for two exciting
summer programs in Berlin. Both programs are four to five weeks, and
include intensive language study as well as the chance to gain valuable
contacts with German companies, organizations and institutions in your
field. Knowledge of German is not required.

The Politics and Language course will give students a primer on German
politics while they study language. This will be supplemented by site
visits to government buildings and policy institutions as well as
Berlin’s finest cultural offerings. Discussions will highlight hot
topics in politics, including environmental policy, immigration issues,
and European Integration.

http://culturalvistas.org/programs-for-students-and-professionals/internships-abroad/berlin-language-and-politics-program

The Language and Renewable Energy Program will provide students with an
overview of Germany’s renewable energy practices as students try to
approach the problems of renewable energy from a variety of
perspectives. The course covers many different sources of energy and
addresses policy as well as practical implementation.

http://culturalvistas.org/programs-for-students-and-professionals/internships-abroad/radolfzell-lanugage-and-renewable-energy-program

*>>Peace and Conflict Resolution in London and Amman<<*
Deadline to Apply – March 15^th , 2012

In this unique and highly successful summer program, students will get
to study peace and conflict resolution in both London and Amman, Jordan.
Students begin by studying the Irish Troubles as a case study by meeting
with academics and practitioners who negotiated in the Northern
Ireland/U.K. settlement.

They then take this lens to Amman, Jordan, where they will examine the
Arab-Israeli conflict, as well as other regional conflicts including
those in Syria, Iraq, Iran, and Lebanon. Students will get to learn from
academics as well as political, tribal, and cultural leaders in an
effort to understand the region, its challenges, and its opportunities.
Students then have the option to for an intensive Arabic semester after
the conclusion of the course.

Scholarships of either 1000 or 2000 dollars are available.

For more information visit:

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=c17fd18a22b09187a996bd4da&id=8d56d633e0
<http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=c17fd18a22b09187a996bd4da&id=8d56d633e0>

*>>Summer Peacebuilding Program for Graduating Students<<*

Deadline to Apply – April 15^th , 2012

SIT is offering graduate students who are seeking new knowledge, skills,
and competencies in the areas of dialogue and reconciliation,
peacebuilding, and conflict transformation the chance to increase their
skills. Participants will study at SIT’s Vermont campus, undertaking a
powerful process of study, self-reflection, community-building, and
collaborative problem solving in a multicultural environment.

For more information, visit:

http://www.sit.edu/graduate/6708.htm

*>>Study or Intern in Europe with Experiences Abroad<<*
Deadline to Apply – May 15^th

Experiences International is pleased to announce an innovative new study
and internship semester abroad program in collaboration with London
Metropolitan University, and University Autonoma Barcelona, beginning in
September 2012.This new program has been designed to offer students the
unique opportunity to gain international work experience while also
fulfilling their academic requirements at some of Europe's leading
institutions. Students will have the ability to choose from a wide range
of specially designed courses in both the arts and sciences.

The Experiences International Academic Internship Program will offer
students extensive classroom work, combined with internships designed
around each student's desired field of study. During the course of the
program, students will gain invaluable practical experience, learn from
local business leaders in their field, and have the opportunity to
volunteer at one of the numerous EiAbroad Parter organizations.

For more information, visit:

http://eiabroad.com/study-abroad-in-spain/

http://eiabroad.com/study-abroad-in-london/

*>>Study Jazz and the African Diaspora in Paris this Summer<<
*Deadline to Apply - March 1st, 2012

Come study Jazz and the African Diaspora in Paris this summer!
Participants will take two courses, as well as participate in excursions
to nightclubs, restraunts, concert venues, and cafes as they follow the
history of Jazz in the first European city to embrace it. No French or
musical background is required – just a desire to learn about Jazz in
Paris.

For more information, visit:

http://icenter.ucsd.edu/pao/find-a-program/program-options/global-seminars/paris/index.html

----------- GEO Information -----------

GEO Contact Information

For general information about GEO, please our website at
geo.hampshire.eduand our intranet calendar to view important dates,
events, and deadlines at
https://intranet.hampshire.edu/calendar/thyme/index.php?calendar=GEO.

Stop by GEO or call our office (413 559 5542) from 9 to noon or 1 to 4
to make an appointment. We do not make appointments by email, but you
can come to the office to schedule an appointment, talk to a staff
member, or browse through our resource library.

--

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this listserv (unless
specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed

Global Education Office | Hampshire College
893 West Street | Amherst, Massachusetts 01002 USA

Phone: 413.559.5542 | Fax: 413.559-6173

Office Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:30am-noon, 1-4:30pm
Campus Location: Merrill Student Life Center, 1st floor

http://geo.hampshire.edu