[GEO] Weekly GEO Digest

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Tue Feb 7 11:44:35 EST 2012

Welcome back to Hampshire for the spring semester! Winter has begun to
fade as we start the journey to warmer weather and the summer. So what
better time to consider what to do when that summer comes around? Take a
look at our special section this issue about summer programs abroad and
let your imagination run wild.

Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available
online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, then click on
"GEO Archives".

Contents

> >Navigating Study Abroad(Start here!)<<

> >Upcoming GEO Events<<

- May Short Term Course Info Session – TODAY February 7^th

- NYIAUS Info Session – February 9^th

- Living Routes Info Table – February 14^th

> >Save the Date: Study Abroad Deadlines – Spring 2012<<

- ISEP Exchange Priority Deadline (Fall 2012)

- Fall 2012 Exchange Program Deadline – March 8^th

- May/Summer Program Deadline – March 8^th

- Field Study Application Deadline – April 13^th

- Enrollment Notification Deadline – April 13th

> >Scholarship Deadlines<<

- Freeman ASIA Scholarship Online Application Due – February 15^th

- Gilman Scholarship Deadline – March 1^st

> >Highlight – Summer Programs<<

- Redefine Going to Class - Hampshire Courses Abroad in May/Summer

- Summer Programs through Dickinson College

- Study Abroad with the NY Film Academy

- New IES Summer Programs

- Study Art, Design, and Architecture in Nottingham, England

> >GEO Resources<<

-GEO Information

**

----------- Navigating Study Abroad -----------

***Study Abroad Info Session | Every Thursday 4PM | Merrill Living Room***

These weekly sessions are the perfect place to start getting ready to
study abroad. Types of programs, financial aid, integration with your
academics, logistics, and all other major topics will be covered.

------------Upcoming GEO Events-------------

*>>May Short Term Course Info Session<<*

Tuesday, TODAY, Feb 7th, 4:30 -5:30pm, FPH Faculty Lounge

*Redefine Going to Class | Courses Abroad in May/Summer | Deadline to
apply: March 8^th !*

Engage in experiential learning with a global perspective -Participate
in a Hampshire Short-term Field Course in China, The Netherlands,
France, Italy or Greece this May/summer.Most courses are led by
Hampshire faculty and open to students across all academic levels, but
make sure the check the prerequisites and eligibility requirements
specific to each course.

NOTE: All short-term field courses have an application process and
course program fee administered through the global education office. The
application DEADLINE for May/summer courses is:

THURS, MARCH 8^th .

Students who receive need-based aid from Hampshire College are eligible
to apply for financial assistance through the global education office to
offset the program fee. Awards vary from year to year and are dependent
on the number of applicants and the amount of aid available.

COURSES OFFERED IN MAY/SUMMER:

SLOW FOOD IN EMILIA-ROMAGNA AND TUSCANY (Italy) - Faculty Director:
Jason Tor (NS)

http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/21784.htm

INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS TRIBUNALS (the Netherlands) - Faculty
Director: Flavio Risech (CSI)

http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/14684.htm

SUPER 8 FILMMAKING IN PARIS (France) - Faculty Director: Baba Hillman (HACU)

http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/9434.htm

SUMMER INTENSIVE CHINESE - 4 or 8 weekprograms (China) - Faculty
Director: Kay Johnson (CSI)

http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/6727.htm

KENCHREAI EXCAVATIONS: ARCHEOLOGY, HISTORY & CULTURE (Greece) - Faculty
Liaison: Bob Meagher (HACU)

http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/6728.htm

WANT TO KNOW MORE?

*Check out the GEO WEBSITE:
For general information about courses, eligibility, cost and financial
aid, and how to apply, visit the May/Summer Short-Term Field Course
section of our website: http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/14400.htm

*>>NYIAUS Info Session <<*

Thursday 2/9

EDH

12-1 PM

Hampshire offers students the opportunity to study at the New York
Institute for Architecture and Urban Studies (NYIAUS). This program
allows students to gain hands-on experience in the field of architecture
in a studio-based environment. If this program sounds interesting to
you, stop by this info session to learn more and have your questions
answered.

*>>Living Routes Info Table<<*

Tuesday, 2/14

Dinning Commons

Noon-1:30pm

Bring your education to life by studying in communities across the globe
that are striving to live more equitable, just and sustainable
lifestyles. Come by the Dinning Commons to find out more about Living
Routes.

---------- Study Abroad Deadlines ----------

> >*ISEP Exchange Priority Deadline (Fall 2012)<<*

Wednesday, 2/15

For students planning to study abroad through ISEP Exchange during the
fall 2012, this is a *priority* deadline, applications are accepted on a
rolling basis.

*>>Fall 2012 Exchange Program Deadline<<*

Thursday, 3/8

Students planning to study abroad during the Fall 2012 semester will
need to submit their materials to the GEO office by 4:30 on this date.

*>>May/Summer Program Deadline<<*

Thursday, 3/8

Students planning to study abroad on a Hampshire College May/Summer
course will need to submit their materials to the GEO office by 4:30 on
this date.

*>>Field Study Application Deadline<<*

Friday 4/13

Students who are planning to go on a field study course during the Fall
2012 semester will need to have submitted their completed and signed
materials to the CASA and GEO offices by the end of the day.

*>>Enrollment Notification Deadline<<*

Friday 4/13

This is the deadline for students to notify the college that they will
not be studying on Hampshire campus during the Fall 2012 semester.

-----------Scholarship Deadlines-----------

*>>Freeman ASIA Scholarship Online Application Due<<*

Wednesday, 2/15

American undergraduates studying abroad in East or Southeast Asia should
consider applying for the Freeman ASIA scholarship. This need based
scholarship can be applied to the many costs associated with studying
abroad.

For more information, visit:

http://www.iie.org/en/programs/freeman-asia

*>>Gilman Scholarship Deadline<<*

Thursday, 3/1

The Gilman Scholarship program offers a number of awards to American
undergraduates studying abroad. The goal of this scholarship is to
increase the diversity of students studying abroad by supporting
students who would otherwise not go abroad due to financial constraints.

For more information, visit:

http://www.iie.org/en/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program

[...]

Dickinson College is pleased to be offering eight summer programs open
to enrollment this year. Take part in Dickinson’s award-winning
environmental and economic sustainability programs in Israel, Camroon,
Germany, or France; immerse yourself in learning the Italian, Russian,
or Spanish languages; or study classical archaeology. Students may be
required to meet some prerequisites, depending on the program.

Applications will be reviewed until March 1^st . Additional program
specific information can be found for each course:

Environmental Sustainability in the Middle East: Challenges of the Southern Arava<http://blogs.dickinson.edu/globalsustainability/>  (Ketura, Israel)

Environmental, Social, and Economic Sustainability in Cameroon<http://blogs.dickinson.edu/globalsustainability-africa/>  (Yaoundé, Cameroon)

Sustainability in Europe: Approaches and Case Studies in Sustainable Development<http://blogs.dickinson.edu/globalsustainability-europe/>  (Bremen, Germany)

Toulouse Summer Immersion: Is France Sustainable?<https://dickinson.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Program s.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10066>  <https://dickinson.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10066>* (Toulouse, France)

Italian Language Immersion<https://dickinson.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.V iewProgram&Program_ID=10067>  <https://dickinson.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10067>  (Genoa, Italy)

Russian Language Immersion<https://dickinson.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.V iewProgram&Program_ID=10040>  <https://dickinson.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10040>  (Moscow, Russia)

Spanish Language Immersion<https://dickinson.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.V iewProgram&Program_ID=10037>  <https://dickinson.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10037>* (Malaga, Spain)

Fieldwork in Classical Archaeology, D.E.P.A.S. of Glas<https://dickinson.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewPr ogram&Program_ID=10042>  <https://dickinson.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10042>  (Glas, Greece)

You can also contact this email for additional information:

global at dickinson.edu  <mailto:global at dickinson.edu><mailto:global at dickinson.edu>.

*>>Study Abroad with the NY Film Academy<<*

The New York Film Academy offers the chance for aspiring filmmakers to
film and study in a number of locations around the world. Hands-on,
intensive summer programs are available in Beijing, China; Kyoto, Japan;
Paris, France; and Florance, Italy.

Courses vary in duration, cost, and deadline; for more information visit:

http://www.nyfa.edu/filmschools/

*>>New IES Summer Programs<<*

The Institute for the International Education of Studentswill be
offering two new programs this summer.

The Cape Town Summer Health Studies Program offers students interested
in health-related careers to learn about health care delivery in Cape
Town, South Africa; one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Students will receive placements and take part in field visits as they
learn about how the country is tackling the challenge of delivering
health care to its poorer urban and rural residents.

https://www.iesabroad.org/IES/Programs/SouthAfrica/CapeTown_Summer/capeTownSummer.html

The Shanghai Summer Internship Program is designed for students who want
to spend 8 weeks participating in an academic internship in Shanghai
while studying Chinese language. Shanghai is the perfect city for you to
obtain work experience, with opportunities in many fields such as
international and domestic companies, policy research at Chinese think
tanks, public media organizations, and NGOs. Don’t miss out on the
opportunity to witness and be a part of a city speeding through economic
development and globalization.

https://www.iesabroad.org/IES/Programs/China/Shanghai_Summer/shanghaiSummer.html

*>>Study Art, Design, and Architecture in Nottingham, England<<*

Trent University will be offering students the chance to study art,
design, and architecture in Nottingham. Students will explore everything
the city has to offer with a combination of studio activities, lectures,
gallery visits, and trips to places both on and off the tourist trail,
all during the beautiful English summer. Courses available include
studying fashion design, architecture, contemporary art, furniture
design, and immersive design.

For more information visit:

http://www.ntu.ac.uk/summerstudyabroad

----------- GEO Information -----------

GEO Contact Information

For general information about GEO, please our website at
geo.hampshire.eduand our intranet calendar to view important dates,
events, and deadlines at
https://intranet.hampshire.edu/calendar/thyme/index.php?calendar=GEO.

Stop by GEO or call our office (413 559 5542) from 9 to noon or 1 to 4
to make an appointment. We do not make appointments by email, but you
can come to the office to schedule an appointment, talk to a staff
member, or browse through our resource library.

--

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this listserv (unless
specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed

Global Education Office | Hampshire College
893 West Street | Amherst, Massachusetts 01002 USA

Phone: 413.559.5542 | Fax: 413.559-6173

Office Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:30am-noon, 1-4:30pm
Campus Location: Merrill Student Life Center, 1st floor

http://geo.hampshire.edu