[GEO] September 12, 2011 GEO Listserve

GEO at hampshire.edu GEO at hampshire.edu
Mon Sep 12 15:15:49 EDT 2011

Hello and welcome back from the Global Education Office (GEO)!

Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available online!
Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, then click on "GEO Archives".

Contents

>>Upcoming GEO Events – September 2011<<
-Amherst College Study Abroad Fair 9/19
-UMass Study Abroad Fair 9/19
-Amy Goldstein Film Presentation – The Hooping Life 9/19
-“Hooping” Workshop with Tisha Marina 9/20
-Eduardo Santos-Hernandez Lecture 9/20
-Smith College Study Abroad Fair 9/20
-Mount Holyoke College Study Abroad Fair 9/20
-Short-Term Programs (January and Summer) Interest Session 9/21
-“Navigating Study Abroad” Information Session Every Thursday @ 4:00pm in the
Global education Office

>>Save the Date: Study Abroad Deadlines – Fall 2011<<
-Spring Exchange Programs Application Deadline 10/13
-January Term Programs Application Deadline 10/13
-Study Abroad Enrollment Notification (CASA) 11/11

>>Scholarship Deadlines<<
-Gilman Scholarship Deadline 10/4
-Freeman Asia Scholarship Deadline 10/12
-Boren Scholarship Online Application Due 2/9/12

>>Special Information<<
-Glimpse’s Spring 2012 Correspondence Program
-Bard College Programs & Deadlines
-Arava Institute for Environmental Studies
-New England China Scholarship Program
-InternationalStudent.com $4000 2011 Travel Video Contest

>>GEO Resources<<
-GEO Information
_________________

-Amherst College Study Abroad Fair

Monday 9/19
11:30 – 2:00pm
Friedmann Room of the Keefe Campus Center

-UMass Study Abroad Fair

Monday 9/19
4:00 – 6:00pm
Student Union Ballroom

-Amy Goldstein Film Presentation

The Hooping Life
Monday 9/10
7:00 – 8:30pm
Main Lecture Hall, Franklin Patterson Hall
“With Nothing More Than Hoola Hoop, They Set Out to Change the World,” a film by
Hampshire Alum, Amy Goldstein.

-Hooping Workshop with Tisha Marina

Tuesday 9/20
12 – 1:00pm
Franklin Patterson Faculty Lounge
What do you do when there is bullying going on around you, or you  find yourself
turning into a bully? Tisha will demonstrate how she addresses such issues in
her work with inner city kids in South Central LA using the hula hoop.
Participatory workshop that involves mind, body, spirit.
Afterschool Program created by Tisha Marina, South Central:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rura1Lya5qY

-Eduardo Santos-Hernandez Lecture

Tuesday 9/20
4 – 5:30pm
Location and Topic TBD

-Smith College Study Abroad Fair

Tuesday 9/20
4 – 5:00pm
Chapin Lawn in front of Wright Hall

-Mount Holyoke College Study Abroad Fair

Tuesday 9/20
6 – 8:00pm
Chapin Auditorium

-Short Term Programs Information Session

Wednesday 9/21
4:30 – 6:00pm
East Lecture Hall, Franklin Patterson Hall
Come to this information session to learn about Hampshire’s short-term programs
being offered this January, including “The West of Ireland”, “East African
Encounters: Health, HIV, and Community Response” held in Kenya, “Exploring
Education and Childhood in Guatemala: Schooling, Arts and Cultural Practices”.
*There will be a separate information session held for the “Tibetan Studies in
India” program, see below.
__________________________

-Spring Exchange Programs Application Deadline

Thursday 10/13
Spring ’12 Exchange Program Applications are due to the Global Education Office
by 4:00pm.

-January Short-Term Programs Application Deadline

Thursday 10/13
January Short-Term ’12 Program Applications are due to the Global Education
Office by 4:00pm.

-Student Abroad Enrollment Notification (CASA)

Friday 11/11
Students intending to Study Abroad for the Spring ’12 semester must submit their
intent to study abroad to CASA by 4:00pm.
__________________________

-Gilman Scholarship Deadline

Tuesday 10/4
The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and
was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This
scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving
Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to
participate in study abroad programs worldwide.
http://www.iie.org/en/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program

-Freeman Asia Scholarship Deadline

Freeman-ASIA accepts applications from U.S. citizens or permanent residents
studying at the undergraduate level at a two-year or four-year college or
university who demonstrate financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast
Asia.
http://www.iie.org/Programs/Freeman-ASIA

-Boren Scholarship Online Application Due

Thursday 2/9/12
Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S.
undergraduate and graduate students to add an important international and
language component to their educations. The scholarship focuses on geographic
areas, languages, and fields of study that are critical to U.S. national
security, broadly defined, and underrepresented in study abroad.
http://www.borenawards.org/

-Glimpse’s Spring 2012 Correspondence Program

The Glimpse Correspondents Program is an opportunity for students, volunteers,
teachers, and travelers who will be abroad for part of 2011 to get their
stories and photography published at high-profile publications--and get paid
for it.