[GEO] GEO Weekly Digest

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Thu Dec 1 14:21:43 EST 2011

 From the Global Education Office (GEO), ciao!

Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available
online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, then click on
"GEO Archives".

Contents

> >Scholarship Deadlines<<

- CIEE Announces $1 Million Dollar Scholarship Program to Expand Access
to Study Abroad

- Brunei Scholarships to Foreign Students Application due 1/14/2012

- Boren Scholarship Online Application Due 2/9/12

> >Special Information <<

- Embassy of Australia Winter Internship

- Europe & Islam: Cultures & Communities (Europe in Transition) – Fall
Program

> >GEO Resources<<

-GEO Information

----------- Navigating Study Abroad -----------

***Study Abroad Info Session | Every Thursday 4PM | Merrill Living Room***

These weekly sessions are the perfect place to start getting ready to
study abroad. Types of programs, financial aid, integration with your
academics, logistics, and all other major topics will be covered.

-----------Scholarship Deadlines-----------

***CIEE Announces $1 Million Dollar Scholarship Program to Expand Access
to Study Abroad***

CIEE is excited to announce the launch of its Global Access Initiative
(GAIN), which is designed to overcome the main barriers to study abroad,
namely, challenges of cost and curriculum requirements. GAIN will expand
the opportunities for students from all backgrounds and all majors to
participate in study abroad programs.

Through GAIN, CIEE is committing one million dollars each year to
students who are economically challenged, are pursuing intensive
international experiences, or are otherwise limited by their major or
student activities. CIEE will provide grants and scholarships to
students for full-year, semester, and summer programs.

GAIN will launch in summer 2012 and provide access to study abroad
programs for students unable to attend due to financial constraints.
Grants and scholarships will be available for the 36 CIEE summer
programs offered in 21 countries. GAIN will also provide grants and
scholarships to students who are selected as awardees by the highly
respected Benjamin A. Gilman and David L. Boren Scholarship programs.

For more information on GAIN, contact CIEE at studyinfo at ciee.org
<mailto:studyinfo at ciee.org>or call 1.800.40.STUDY

*>>Brunei Scholarships to Foreign Students<<*

No later than Saturday 1/14/2012**

The Government of Brunei Darussalam is offering scholarships under the
program, “Brunei Government Scholarship to Foreign Students.
Official scholarship announcement can be view at Ministry of Foreign
Affairs and Trade website:

http://ow.ly/7AKtF

For your convenience, please find below:

- Appendix A - Programs Offered Under Scholarship
http://brunei.usembassy.gov/media/pdfs/appendix-a.pdf

- Appendix B - Minimum Entry Qualifications
http://brunei.usembassy.gov/media/pdfs/appendix-b.pdf

- Additional Information
http://brunei.usembassy.gov/media/pdfs/additional-information.pdf

- Application Form
http://brunei.usembassy.gov/media/pdfs/application-form---bd-scholarship-2012-2013.pdf

*>>Boren Scholarship Online Application Due<<*

Thursday 2/9/2012**

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide unique funding opportunities
for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to add an important
international and language component to their educations. The
scholarship focuses on geographic areas, languages, and fields of study
that are critical to U.S. national security
<http://www.borenawards.org/national_security.html>, broadly defined,
and underrepresented in study abroad.

http://www.borenawards.org/

--------------------Special Information-----------------

*>>Embassy of Australia Winter Internship<<*

Deadline: December 5^th 2011

The Embassy of Australia is seeking a Marketing Intern for the winter
2012 semester. Interns are hired for a period of three to four months,
work full-time and will receive a $1000 stipend. The winter internship
will run from January to April; start and end dates are flexible.

The Marketing Intern will assist with event management, student
enquiries, website development, online social media, marketing,
database/administrative tasks and research.

The successful candidate will:
• have completed at least three years of college (with a GPA of 3.2)
• possess strong written and verbal communication skills
• be proficient with Microsoft Office
• have event management experience
• have the ability to work independently and in a team
• have the ability to show initiative
• have experience updating marketing collateral including publications
and websites
• have experience using online social media in an academic or
professional capacity (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, WordPress)
• have a personal interest in the fields of international marketing,
education marketing, international education, and /or marketing
• have previous work or study experience in Australia

To apply, please visit
http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/Austrade_Education_Marketing_Internships_May_2010.html

*>>Europe & Islam: Cultures & Communities (Europe in Transition) – Fall
Program<<*

Deadline: Marco 30^th 2012**

the Arab world, they have transformed the program to a fall semester
abroad program entitled: “Europe and Islam: Cultures & Communities.”

The program will examine issues of identity and social stratification of
ethnic minorities, class structures, and gender roles in Poland,
Germany, and Turkey. Our students will also continue to conduct
independent research projects on a topic of their choice.

----------- GEO Information -----------

GEO Contact Information

For general information about GEO, please our website at
geo.hampshire.eduand our intranet calendar to view important dates,
events, and deadlines at
https://intranet.hampshire.edu/calendar/thyme/index.php?calendar=GEO.

Stop by GEO or call our office (413 559 5542) from 9 to noon or 1 to 4
to make an appointment. We do not make appointments by email, but you
can come to the office to schedule an appointment, talk to a staff
member, or browse through our resource library.

--

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this listserv (unless
specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed

Global Education Office | Hampshire College
893 West Street | Amherst, Massachusetts 01002 USA

Phone: 413.559.5542 | Fax: 413.559-6173

Office Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:30am-noon, 1-4:30pm
Campus Location: Merrill Student Life Center, 1st floor

http://geo.hampshire.edu