[GEO] GEO Weekly Digest

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Thu Apr 21 13:41:34 EDT 2011

School is winding down, and summer’s coming up fast! Take some time to consider some of these awesome opportunities for summer, or to start thinking about going abroad next year.

Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, and then click on "GEO Archives".

Contents

Upcoming GEO Events
- Info table for Arcadia University Study Abroad
- Navigating Study Abroad, Thursdays at 4pm

Special Information:
- Job opportunity – help send students abroad with EUSA
- Study Spanish and Human Development in Valparaiso, Chile
- Summer and fall programs in New Zealand with Pacific Discovery
- SEA Semester summer field-based research program
- Literacy Education in Europe studies and conference
- Staceyann Chin performs at Mt. Holyoke College

GEO Resources
-GEO Ambassadors
-GEO Website

---------
*Arcadia University Abroad Info Table *
Dining Commons
Tuesday, April 26th, 12 AM to 1:30 PM

A representative from Arcadia University will be visiting the Dining Commons to talk about the programs abroad that they offer. Arcadia can provide access to over 100 different sites in 15 different countries, for both semester and short-term courses, along with comprehensive guidance and scholarships. Stop by and find out more!

*Study Abroad Info Session | Every Thursday 4PM | Merrill Living Room

Weekly GEO Info Sessions provide an overview of study abroad options and how to begin planning your study abroad experience.

--------
>> Job opportunity – help send students abroad with EUSA<<
Deadline – April 29th

EUSA is an organization which works with universities, departments, and individual professors to create customized academic internship programs, including housing, internship placement, program development, and safety. They are looking to hire support for their University Relations team between June 13th and December 16th, 2011. Responsibilities include supporting recruitment efforts, researching and submitting reports on current partners and competitors, collect information on possible future partners, help to develop program materials, and assist with general office management. Travel to US universities and colleges is required. Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree.

For more information, contact eusaboston at eusa-edu.com. Applications will be accepted until April 29th.

>> Study Spanish and Human Development in Valparaiso, Chile <<
Deadline – May 6th

Come study Spanish and Human Development this summer in Valparaiso, Chile – the “Jewel of the Pacific.” Students will experience total immersion into Chilean life, language and culture over the course of their four week stay, with classes at the Universidad de Playa Ancha running Monday through Thursday, and including intensive language instruction as well as fieldwork in the afternoons.

For more information, or to apply, visit http://www.csusm.edu/global/studyabroad/Chile.html

>>Summer and fall programs in New Zealand<<
Deadline – May 31st

Pacific Discovery has extended its deadline to register for its summer programs in New Zealand and Australia. Space is still available in their Volunteer Conservation Program from August 4th to September 1st, where students will combine rewarding conservation work in national parts with exploration, adventure, and travel through both the North and South Island of New Zealand. Also available is a fall semester program in both Australia and New Zealand. For more information, visit
http://www.pacificdiscovery.org

>>SEA Semester summer field-based research program<<

The SEA Summer Session program welcomes students from all fields of study who are interested in learning more about our world’s oceans. The interdisciplinary curriculum is designed for students representing a wide variety of backgrounds and interests. Students will come to understand the issues facing our oceans, and how we may resolve them, through four weeks on shore at Woods Hole, MA, and four weeks doing research work on the open ocean between San Francisco and Honolulu. Students carry out and perform an individual research project in addition to coursework in oceanography, maritime studies, and nautical science.

The course runs from June 1st to July 29th, 2011. For more information, visit www.sea.edu or contact admission at sea.edu

>>Literacy Education in Europe studies and conference<<
Deadline – April 16th. Rolling admissions after that date if program is not full.

This program, provided through Virginia Commonwealth University, gives students the chance to study literacy from an international perspective across three European countries – France, Belgium, and the Netherlands. In addition to studying, meeting with renowned experts in the field of literacy education, and attending the premier European literacy conference in Mons, Belgium, students will also get to partake in exciting excursions including the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, and Anne Frank house.

For more information visit http://www.global.vcu.edu/abroad/programs/vcu/programdetail/p92.aspx , or contact abroad at vcu.edu

>>Staceyann Chin performs at Mt. Holyoke College<<
Tuesday, April 26th, 2011
7:30-9pm
Blanchard Campus Center Great Room
Mt. Holyoke College
$2 Admission

Staceyann Chin and her incredible voice has been recognized everywhere from the New York State Senate to the Oprah Winfrey Show, and her three one-woman shows have all opened to rave reviews. She will be taking her reputation for telling it exactly like it is to Mt. Holyoke College, next week. She will be available after the performance to present and sign her memoir.

---------

GEO Ambassadors:
GEO Ambassadors: Becky Tang, Thais Guisasola, Xiaolei Gu, Jake Kolpas, Aymee Malena, Ximena Casado, and Nathan Whitehouse. Come by the office from 9 to noon or 1 to 4 and they will be happy to talk to you about study abroad.

Stop by GEO or call our office (413 559 5542) from 9 to noon or 1 to 4 to make an appointment. We do not make appointments by email, but you can come to the office to schedule an appointment, talk to a staff member, or browse through our resource library.

Look at our website too: http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/

------

For questions/suggestions regarding this list email geo at hampshire.edu. Have a great break!

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this listserv (unless specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed by our office. It is a list of opportunities that have come our way that look particularly interesting or that might be good fit for some Hampshire students. Just because a program is listed here does necessarily mean that Hampshire "recommends" it any more than programs not listed.

--

Global Education Office | Hampshire College
893 West Street | Amherst, Massachusetts 01002 USA

Phone: 413.559.5542 | Fax: 413.559-6173

Office Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:30am-noon, 1-4:30pm
Campus Location: Merrill Student Life Center, 1st floor

http://geo.hampshire.edu