[GEO] Your Weekly GEO Digest!!

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Fri Apr 8 16:02:53 EDT 2011

Welcome to the final month of classes!

Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, and then click on "GEO Archives".

Contents

Upcoming GEO Events
- Info table for CET Programs abroad
- Navigating Study Abroad, Thursdays at 4pm

Special Information:
- Fall and Spring internships in D.C.
- Health and Food Security Service Learning in Tanzania
- Internships in Chile and Argentina
- Summer Teaching opportunities in China

GEO Resources
-GEO Ambassadors
-GEO Website

---------
*CET Info Table
Dining Commons
Tuesday, April 12th, 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM

A representative from CET Abroad will be in the dining commons to chat with students about their exciting programs available to students. CET, which offers semester and summer programs in China, the Czech Republic, Vietnam, Italy, Japan, Spain, and Syria, is known for its high academic standards and innovative approaches to teaching. Students who travel with CET will truly become integrated into their overseas communities and leave with lasting relationships with their local hosts. For more information, stop by and chat, or just pick up some literature.

*Study Abroad Info Session | Every Thursday 4PM | Merrill Living Room

Weekly GEO Info Sessions provide an overview of study abroad options and how to begin planning your study abroad experience.

--------

>> Fall and Spring internships in D.C. <<

The Capital Semester program in Washington D.C. is accepting applications for Fall 2011 and Spring 2012. The Capital Semester program offers students interested in politics, American government and journalism the opportunity to be placed in competitive internships with top D.C. organizations, while also taking courses at prestigious Georgetown University.

For more information visit www.DCinternships.org/CS. The deadline for Fall 2011 applications is June 1st.

>> Health Service Learning in Tanzania<<

This exciting program on HIV/AIDS prevention and food security builds on the Global Service Corps’ 17 years of experience providing service-learning programs in East Africa. In this program, students will expand their own knowledge while at the same time helping to educate local community members in HIV/AIDS prevention and sustainable agriculture. This 15-week program involves six weeks of classroom training and nine weeks of field work. Students are eligible to receive credit for the program. A summer program is also available.

For more information visit http://www.globalservicecorps.org/site/Tanzania-service-learning-programs , or email Tanzania at globalservicecorps.org.

>> Internships in Chile and Argentina <<

Come get an internship in Chile or Argentia through the Comisión de Intercambia Educativo (COINED)! COINED provides unpaid internship opportunities for US and Canadian students in a variety of fields, including business/finance, tourism, non-profit, international relations, computer science, and more! Two options are available – students may take four weeks of Spanish language and then work 8 weeks in an internship, or may simply do a 12-week internship. Note that high-intermediate Spanish ability is required for the 12-week internships, and two years of post-secondary instruction in Spanish is required for the language course + internship option. Scholarships are available for qualified participants.

For further information and application materials, visit http://www.cdsintl.org/internshipsabroad/chile.php. Admissions are done on a rolling basis.

>> Summer Teaching opportunities in China <<

WorldTeach, a non-profit NGO based out of Harvard University, is offering 8-week summer volunteer teaching programs for committed, mature students. These students will get the chance to make a significant impact in a developing community while gaining valuable language and cross-cultural skills. There are still open positions for this summer in Hunan Provance, China. Students here will teach oral English in a structured setting, and live in accommodations provided. Airfare, room and board, visa costs, and travel insurance are all included in the cost of the program.

Applications for this summer are **DUE APRIL 15TH **
For more information, and the application forms, visit www.worldteach.org , email wtchina at worldteach.org , or call 617-495-5527

---------

GEO Ambassadors:
GEO Ambassadors: Becky Tang, Thais Guisasola, Xiaolei Gu, Jake Kolpas, Aymee Malena, Ximena Casado, and Nathan Whitehouse. Come by the office from 9 to noon or 1 to 4 and they will be happy to talk to you about study abroad.

Stop by GEO or call our office (413 559 5542) from 9 to noon or 1 to 4 to make an appointment. We do not make appointments by email, but you can come to the office to schedule an appointment, talk to a staff member, or browse through our resource library.

Look at our website too: http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/

------

For questions/suggestions regarding this list email geo at hampshire.edu. Have a great break!

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this listserv (unless specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed by our office. It is a list of opportunities that have come our way that look particularly interesting or that might be good fit for some Hampshire students. Just because a program is listed here does necessarily mean that Hampshire "recommends" it any more than programs not listed.

--

Global Education Office | Hampshire College
893 West Street | Amherst, Massachusetts 01002 USA

Phone: 413.559.5542 | Fax: 413.559-6173

Office Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:30am-noon, 1-4:30pm
Campus Location: Merrill Student Life Center, 1st floor

http://geo.hampshire.edu