[GEO] GEO Weekly Digest!

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Fri Apr 1 13:18:36 EDT 2011

Are you ready for another exciting GEO weekly digest?

Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available
online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, and then click
on "GEO Archives".

Contents

Upcoming GEO Events
- ISEP Info Session
- Info table for Bard College
- Info table for CET Programs Abroad
- Navigating Study Abroad, Thursdays at 4pm

Save the Date: Study Abroad Deadlines
- Enrollment Notification Deadline
- Bridging Scholarship deadline

Special Information:
- Wander Our World!
- 5 College Lecture – “The German Foreign Office and the Nazi Past”
- Summer Service-Learning with ISPL
- Summer Art Study In France and Venice

GEO Resources
-GEO Ambassadors
-GEO Website

---------
*ISEP Info Session
Dakin Living Room
Monday, April 4th, 12PM to 1PM

Come learn about all the amazing study abroad opportunities via the
International Student Exchange Program (ISEP). ISEP offers the ability
to choose from 146 host universities in 44 different countries. ISEP
exchange programs count as a Hampshire exchange program, meaning
applying and paying for these programs is easy!

*Bard College Info Table
Dining Commons
Tuesday, April 5th, 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM

Stop by and talk to a representative from Bard College about their
unique study abroad programs. Bard’s programs are specifically designed
to integrate students into foreign cultures and academic environments.
Programs open to Hampshire students include programs at St. Petersburg
University in Russia, the Central European University in Hungary, and
studying human rights in South Africa, as well as domestic programs such
as Urban Studies in New Orleans, and Globalization and International
Affair in New York.

*CET Programs Abroad
Dining Commons
Tuesday, April 5th, 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM

A representative from CET will be in the dining commons to talk about
their programs. Since 1982 CET has been providing innovative educational
programs abroad for both the semester and summer. These programs aim to
be intensive, for students who choose to be challenged, both
academically and experientially; they aim to immerse students in
off-the-beaten-path locations and subject matter; to equip students will
new skills, broader perspectives, and an appreciation of cultural
differences. Semester programs are available in China, the Czech
Republic, Italy, Japan, Spain, Syria, and Vietnam.

*Study Abroad Info Session | Every Thursday 4PM | Merrill Living Room

Weekly GEO Info Sessions provide an overview of study abroad options and
how to begin planning your study abroad experience.

--------
SAVE THE DATE: STUDY ABROAD DEADLINES

Enrollment Notification Deadline (CASA):
April 8th, 2011
For more information visit:
http://www.hampshire.edu/casa/6570.htm

Bridging Scholarship Deadline (Study Abroad Japan)
April 8th, 2011
For more information visit:
http://www.aatj.org/atj/studyabroad/scholarships.html

--------
 >>Wander Our World!<<
Thursday, April 7th from 1-2 pm
Want to help? Email: ljp08 at hampshire.edu
Faculty Lounge, Franklin Patterson Hall

Have questions about studying abroad? About figuring out how to afford
it? Why not get these questions answered while filling your FREE MASON
JAR with (non-alcoholic) regional beverages from around the world! Talk
to students who have gone abroad to destinations all around the globe,
learn how to finance your goals to go abroad, and then get your jar
filled. It’s probably the best way to learn about studying abroad.

 >>Lecture – “The German Foreign Office and the Nazi Past”<<
Wednesday, April 6th at 4:30 PM
The Piano Lecture Room, Earth Science Building, Amherst College

Last fall, the findings of an Independent Historical Commission on the
History of the German Foreign Office during the Third Reich and in the
early Federal Republic – established by then Foreign Secretary Joschka
Fischer in 2005 – were published. The book was widely perceived and
stirred a public debate. Norbert Frei, Visiting Professor at the New
School for Social Research (New York), was a member of the commission.
He will present main results of the research and discuss their relevance
for Germany’s ongoing reflection about the Nazi past

 >>Summer Service-Learning with ISPL<<

The International Partnership for Service-Learning and Leadership will
be offering a number of exciting service-learning opportunities this
summer. These three-to-eight week programs combine cultural and
linguistic immersion, service-learning, and academics over six
continents. Application is easy and quick, and deadlines range from
April 15th to June 8th, so it’s not too late to have the summer of your
life! To browse the available programs, or just learn more, visit
www.ipsl.org .

 >>Summer Art Study In France and Venice<<

Study at the Pont-Aven School of Contemporary Art (PASCA) this Summer!
PASCA is a non-profit, international program for advanced studio studies
in the fine arts located in the historic artists’ community in
Pont-Aven, France. At PASCA, you will join artists from around the world
as you enhance your conceptual and cultural skills, and gain a solid
foundation for your life as an artist in an atmosphere of lively
discourses, guided studio instruction and cultural immersion.

The summer course runs from July 3rd to the 29th, and includes an
additional week in Venice to the 54th Venice Biennale. PASCA has a
limited number of scholarships available as well. The school offers fall
and spring semester programs as well.
For more information, visit www.pontaven.org, or email
r.clement at pontaven.org

---------

GEO Ambassadors:
GEO Ambassadors: Becky Tang, Thais Guisasola, Xiaolei Gu, Jake Kolpas,
Aymee Malena, Ximena Casado, and Nathan Whitehouse. Come by the office
from 9 to noon or 1 to 4 and they will be happy to talk to you about
study abroad.

Stop by GEO or call our office (413 559 5542) from 9 to noon or 1 to 4
to make an appointment. We do not make appointments by email, but you
can come to the office to schedule an appointment, talk to a staff
member, or browse through our resource library.

Look at our website too: http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/

--------

For questions/suggestions regarding this list email geo at
hampshire.edu. Have a great break!

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this listserv (unless
specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed
by our office. It is a list of opportunities that have come our way that
look particularly interesting or that might be good fit for some
Hampshire students. Just because a program is listed here does
necessarily mean that Hampshire "recommends" it any more than programs
not listed.

--

Global Education Office | Hampshire College
893 West Street | Amherst, Massachusetts 01002 USA

Phone: 413.559.5542 | Fax: 413.559-6173

Office Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:30am-noon, 1-4:30pm
Campus Location: Merrill Student Life Center, 1st floor

http://geo.hampshire.edu