[GEO] HAPPY WINTER BREAK!

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Fri Dec 10 14:22:34 EST 2010

The Global Education Office (GEO presents our Weekly Digest:

Happy Winter Break! Here’s some food for thought...

Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available
online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, then click on
"GEO Archives".

Contents:

Special Information
- ISEP
- Lithuania and Morocco, new to the ISEP network
- Humanity in Action

Upcoming Deadlines
- May/Summer Short-Term Field Course Applications (GEO)
- Fall 2011 Exchange Program Applications (GEO)
- Fall 2011 Enrollment Notification Deadline (CASA)

GEO Resources
- Experience Reports: Already Studied Abroad? Be a Resource!
- Advising
- GEO

--------
SPECIAL INFORMATION

*ISEP*
International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) is a network of colleges
and universities cooperating to provide affordable access to
international education for a diverse student population. Our membership
provides an opportunity for Hampshire students to study in some of the
most highly regarded institutions in the world.

ISEP – Exchange vs. ISEP-Direct
Through ISEP, students can choose from two program options (1)
ISEP-Exchange and (2) ISEP-Direct. The ISEP-Exchange program functions
as a normal Hampshire Exchange Program (regarding tuition and fees)
while the ISEP-Direct program functions as a Field Study. ISEP
placements are competitive, have early deadlines, and require additional
application procedures. Please check with Hampshire’s ISEP Coordinator,
Brianna Mercker, in the global education office if you are interested:
T:413-559-5542. For more information visit:
http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/isep.htm

*Lithuania and Morocco, new to the ISEP network*
Priority deadline for fall semester applications is Feb 1.

 >Vilnius University in Lithuania is the newest ISEP member in the
Baltic region. Vilnius University is the oldest and largest Lithuanian
higher education institution. Since its establishment in the 16th
century, Vilnius University has been an active participant in
international scientific and academic activity. As one of the oldest
higher education establishments in the region, it has had a marked
influence on the cultural life of Lithuania and its neighboring states.

 >Al Akhawayn University in Ifrane, Morocco, is the first ISEP member in
northern Africa. Al Akhawayn University is a Moroccan public university
accredited by the government of the Kingdom of Morocco. Academic life is
rigorous but highly personalized as the student to full time faculty
ratio is 12 to 1. Small class sizes give students the opportunity to ask
questions, respond and interact with professors and classmates on a more
personal level.

For more information on these and other ISEP options, visit
http://www.isep.org/

*Humanity in Action (HIA)*
The HIA Fellowship brings together international groups of Fellows to
study minority rights and produce research exploring how and why
individuals and societies, past and present, have resisted intolerance
and protected democratic values. Separate programs will take place for
five weeks in *Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Paris, and Warsaw.
*Applications are DUE on January 10, 2011.

Intensive and demanding, the HIA Fellowship features daily lectures and
discussions with renowned academics, journalists, politicians, and
activists, as well as site visits to government agencies, non-profit
organizations, museums and memorials. Participation requires a great
deal of intellectual curiosity and stamina, as well as the ability to
work effectively in international teams.

For more information visit http://www.humanityinaction.org/

------

UPCOMING DEADLINES

*May/Summer Short-Term Field Courses*
-Applications are due to GEO by Mon, March 7th, 2011

*Fall 2011 Exchange Programs*
- Applications are due to GEO by Mon, March 7th, 2011
- ISEP Priority application deadline: Tues, Feb 1st, 2011

*Fall 2011 Field Study & Exchange Programs*
- Enrollment Notification forms are due to CASA by Fri, April 8th, 2011

*For general information about applications and deadlines, visit:
http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/apply.htm

------
GEO RESOURCES
*Already Studied Abroad? Be a resource!
Help inform other students so they can find the program that’s right for
them
 >> Complete the *My Abroad Experience Report*
https://intranet.hampshire.edu/forms/viewForm.php?id=297

Your story is an important, valuable resource for the Hampshire
community, especially for students looking to go abroad. Students want
to know from other students what the abroad experience is really all
about. We want, need and value your input! If you have already completed
the report, THANK YOU! We really do appreciate all your efforts and want
you to know that your feedback will be a valuable tool for future students.

TIP: Please keep in mind that this form is linked to the intranet and it
will log you out after about 20 minutes. You will likely need more time
to complete this important survey. Therefore, I highly recommend that
you prepare your responses in a document and then copy and paste your
feedback into the form. I know we get really busy with Div II and Div
III, but please take some time to fill this out. Your feedback is essential!

*Study Abroad Advising*
- To learn more about global opportunities in general, attend an
information session, Navigating Study Abroad, every Thursday @ 4pm, or
visit: http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/
- General questions can be addressed to one of the GEO ambassadors or to
the program coordinator at any time.
- For individualized advising on a specific program, please call
(413)559-5542 or stop by to make an appointment.

*GEO*
The Global Education Office
Merrill Student Life Center, 1st floor
T: (413)559-5542
geo at hampshire .edu
http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/

Office hours: 8:30 to noon & 1 to 4:30 pm

-------

--

Global Education Office | Hampshire College
893 West Street | Amherst, Massachusetts 01002 USA

Phone: 413.559.5542 | Fax: 413.559-6173

Office Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:30am-noon, 1-4:30pm
Campus Location: Merrill Student Life Center, 1st floor

http://geo.hampshire.edu