[GEO] Not-for-profit & International Opportunities Fair, Mexico Solidarity Network, Bridging Scholarship

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Fri Feb 20 11:14:49 EST 2009

New to this listserv?
Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available
online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, then click on
"GEO Archives".

- - - - - - - - - -

*CONTENTS*

This Week's GEO Events
- Study Abroad Info Table at SAGA
- Navigating Study Abroad: Info Session at GEO
- Not-for-Profit & International Opportunities Fair

Study Abroad Opportunities
- Mexico Solidarity Network
- UMass Oxford Summer Seminar
- Summer in Egypt
- Antioch's Women’s and Gender Studies in Europe program

Fellowships & Scholarships
- Bridging Scholarship (Study In Japan)

- - - - - - - - - -

*THIS WEEK'S GEO EVENTS*
Check for more upcoming events at http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/events.htm

 >> Study Abroad Info Table In SAGA
Wednesday, February 25
12-1pm
Want to know how study abroad works at Hampshire College? Stop by the
info table and get your questions answered by GEO Ambassadors.

 >> Navigating Study Abroad: Info Session at the GEO Office
Thursday, February 26
4-4:30pm
Weekly GEO Info Sessions provide an overview of study abroad options and
how to begin planning your study abroad experience.

 >> Not-for-Profit & International Opportunities Fair
Friday, February 27
Amherst College Keefe Campus Center
11:30am - 2:00pm

- - - - - - - - - -

*STUDY ABROAD OPPORTUNITIES*
For more opportunities, visit:
http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/opportunities.htm

 >>Mexico Solidarity Network

2009 Study Abroad Opportunities in Mexico

Here’s a unique opportunity to study in an accredited program with some of
Mexico’s most important living social movements, including:
 - Zapatistas in Chiapas
 - The Frente Popular Francisco Villa Independiente, Mexico’s largest urban
housing movement located in Mexico City
 - The Consejo Nacional Urbano Campesino, one of Mexico’s most important
rural movements located in Tlaxcala
 - Families of femicide victims and maquiladora workers in Ciudad Juarez

These unique study abroad programs feature home stays with members of
social
movements, encouraging unprecedented learning opportunities with
organizers and
activists on the front line in popular struggles. The program combines
experiential learning with theoretical work in a seminar and workshop based
pedagogy that emphasizes student participation.

Programs are accredited by the Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, one of
Mexico’s most important public universities. Hampshire College and
SUNY-Albany
are the US schools of record and provide official transcripts. The
program is
also formally recognized by the University of Texas-Austin, New Mexico
State
University, Appalachian State University, and more than 70 others.

Fall and Spring semesters are 14 week, 16-credit programs that travel the
length and breadth of Mexico, including Chiapas, Mexico City, Tlaxcala and
Ciudad Juarez.
 Fall 2009: September 6 – December 12
 Spring 2010: January 31 – May 8

Two summer 2009 programs focus on:
 Border dynamics, with an emphasis on third world feminism. This six week
course offers 8 credits and is based in Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez. The
course is
Spanish immersion with classes and most readings in Spanish.
 June 14 – July 25

Mexican social movements. This eight week course offers 11 credits and
is based
in Chiapas, Mexico City and Tlaxcala. The course focuses on the
practice, theory
and context of Mexico’s most important living social movements.
 June 7 – August 1

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Programs have a tendency
to fill
quickly, so apply early to assure your spot. Most financial aid programs
from
your home university are applicable, and you can apply for aid through
our US
schools of record. The Mexico Solidarity Network also offers a scholarship
program. We’ll work with you to make sure this unique study abroad
opportunity
is affordable.

For more information, see our web site at www.mexicosolidarity.org [1] or
contact MSN at MexicoSolidarity.org [2].

 >> UMass Oxford Summer Seminar
Ready to wander along cobblestone streets?  Dying to eat dinner in
surroundings that come straight out of Harry Potter?  Interested in
earning Five-College credit this summer?  The UMass Oxford Summer
Seminar has a few more spots available, and we would like to fill them
with Hampshire students.  Hampshire students should note that we have
scholarships available for many students, and that the exchange rate
hasn't been this good in about 10 years.  Your courses will recorded on
a UMass transcript, making it very easy to transfer to Hampshire.

For an application or to find out more about the program, please visit:

www.umass.edu/oxford

The Seminar, which lasts from July 4 - August 14, will take place at
Trinity College, one of Oxford University's best schools.  Available
classes include Modern Irish Literature, Creative Writing, International
Law, Contemporary European Politics, and Shakespeare, among others.
Students live and study in college, taking trips on the weekend to
nearby sites or, for the more adventurous, to Paris, Dublin, and Prague.

 >> Summer in Egypt

Spend your summer in Egypt!

Marhaba offers service-learning summer programs for university students
and recent graduates. Our mission is to encourage cross-cultural
understanding between North America, Europe, and the Arab world while
providing meaningful service to communities in the Middle East. Join us
this summer in Cairo!

*Program I*: Volunteers will work with St. Andrew’s Church to serve the
refugee population in Cairo. St. Andrew’s provides educational and
vocational training for refugees from primarily African countries who have
fled their homes due to war or other disasters.  St. Andrew’s refugee
programs are entirely secular and the population served is both Christian
and Muslim.

*Program II*: Volunteers will teach conversational English classes to the
young Egyptian adults who volunteer at Resala centers throughout Cairo.
Resala is a large development organization led by Egyptian youth which
offers a range of programs including Arabic literacy classes, food and
clothing distribution, courses for the blind, and orphanages for street
children.

*Program Dates*: June 20 – July 30, 2009

*Program Fee*: $2,600
Includes housing, Arabic classes, teaching supplies, training, a cell
phone, and a modest living stipend to cover food and transportation.
Does not include transportation to or from Cairo, visa at the airport, or
health insurance.

*Marhaba is pleased to offer three scholarships of up to $2000 for
volunteers in either Program 1 or Program 2.*

*Application Deadline*: March 1, 2009

For application materials and additional program and scholarship
information, please visit our website at http://www.gomarhaba.org or email
us at info at gomarhaba.org

 >> Antioch's Women's and Gender Studies in Europe

Antioch's Women’s and Gender Studies in Europe program is now accepting
applications for Fall 2009. If you are interested in women’s, gender, or
sexuality issues or in feminist theory, you should take advantage of this
opportunity and apply as soon as possible. The deadline for applications
is March 30. Successful participants earn 16 undergraduate credit hours
in Women’s and Gender Studies.

The WGSE program participants study Continental feminist theory (AWS
250B), feminist methodology (AWS 250A), and European situated feminisms
(AWS 240) while traveling to the Netherlands (Utrecht, Amsterdam), Poland
(Krakow), the Czech Republic (Prague), Germany (Berlin), and Istanbul
(Turkey). As well, each student develops and conducts a self-designed
independent research project (AWS 396) on a topic of her/his interest
(such as reproductive rights, LGBTQI issues, trafficking, sex-work, queer
youth support organizations, immigration issues, feminist art, etc.).

Participating in the program also gives students an opportunity to hear
lectures and take seminars with a variety of feminist scholars and
activists, such as Rosi Braidotti (feminist philosopher of the embodiment
and sexual difference), Vera Chytilova (Czech film director, author of
Daisies), Julia Ehrt (European Trans-gender Council), Rebecca Gomperts
(founder of Women on Waves), Laura Merritt (sex-worker activist) and many
many others.

Furthermore, this is an excellent opportunity to establish contacts with
W/GS students from all over Europe--particularly during the first two
weeks of the WGSE program, which converges with the University of
Utrecht's NOISE summer school in W/GS.

Please visit our website at http://aea.antioch.edu/ws/index.html
AEA also has a page on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yellow-Springs-OH/Antioch-Education-Abroad/32368299404

*FELLOWSHIPS & SCHOLARSHIPS*
For more scholarships & funding options, visit:
http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/funding.htm

 >> Bridging Scholarship (Studying in Japan)

The Bridging Scholarship program awards scholarships to American
students participating in study abroad programs in Japan. Undergraduate
students majoring in any field of study and attending any recognized
exchange or independent program in Japan are eligible to apply for these
scholarships.
More info: http://www.colorado.edu/ealld/atj/Bridging/scholarships.html

Deadline: April 4, 2009

- - - - - - - - - -

*QUESTIONS? SUGGESTIONS?*

For questions & suggestions regarding this listserv, or to schedule an
appointment to discuss studying abroad, please contact the Global
Education Office at 413.559.5542 or geo at hampshire.edu

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this digest (unless
specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed
by our office. It is a list of opportunities that we've heard about that
look particularly interesting or that might be a good fit for some
Hampshire students. Just because a program is listed here does not mean
that Hampshire or GEO "recommends" it any more than programs not listed.

Global Education Office | Hampshire College
893 West Street | Amherst, Massachusetts 01002 USA

Phone: 413.559.5542 | Fax: 413.559-6173

Office Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:30am-noon, 1-4:30pm
Campus Location: Merrill Student Life Center, 1st floor

http://geo.hampshire.edu