[CommAdvocacy] March 27 - Split Open: A Conversation and Writing Workshop

Community Advocacy communityadvocacy at hampshire.edu
Mon Mar 25 16:21:27 EDT 2013

Split Open: A Conversation and Writing Workshop
Telling the truth about our lives reveals that this inherited world is
not a perfect fit for us all. With Arisa White

Wednesday March 27th 6:00pm
Faculty Lounge, Hampshire College

In this workshop, we will dialogue about how we, as writers, approach
difficult and vulnerable-making subject matter: race, sexuality,
religion; politics?those hot topics that spur the desire to write. Yet
when we get to the page, we are often confronted with our own
self-consciousness. What new idea or point of view can deepen the
conversation? How to artistically enter into something that feels bigger
than the individual?

Writing exercises will offer participants a way to start; to approach
topics and subjects that may intimidate them as writers, and find that
through embracing one?s self?voice, history, and experiences?as a source
of intelligence, we see who we are and what we put forth as distinctive,
new, enlarging, and necessary.

http://arisawhite.com/

Emily Rimmer
Director For Women's and Queer Services
Hampshire College
893 West St.
Amherst, MA 01002
413-559-5320
--
Community Advocacy <http://www.hampshire.edu/studentlife/communityadvocacy>
413.559.6846

Community Advocacy, a department of student life, incorporates
multicultural and international student services (and the
Lebron-Wiggins-Pran Cultural Center); queer services (and the Queer
Community Alliance Center); spiritual life (and the Spiritual Life
Center); the Wellness Center; and women services (and the Center for
Feminisms).

Community Advocacy promotes the well-being of the entire campus
community; fosters connections across social identities and ideas; and
engages in passionate and compassionate dialogue and programs.

We support and provide resources for the holistic development of
students with the goals of nourishing student initiatives; increasing
awareness and appreciation of different cultures, backgrounds, and
perspectives; and encouraging understanding and mutual respect as we
actively work towards social change.