[Clusterusers] glibc version on fly, cluster

Wm. Josiah Erikson wjerikson at hampshire.edu
Mon May 22 11:10:00 EDT 2017

Hm. So...

Even CentOS 7.3 (the latest) won't get you up to that version of glibc,
and updating glibc on a system is, well, not really feasible, since
basically everything links against it.

So I think we have four choices:

    1. See if you can build a statically-linked version of blender that
is portable to the cluster. It's not clear to me from the instructions
on static linking whether you can statically link glibc or not

    2. Build a chrooted environment on the cluster to build and run
blender in

    3. Update the Macs and use them only

    4. Use docker or something to deploy minimal blender servers. I
haven't messed with docker yet and don't know how feasible this would be.

    -Josiah