[Clusterusers] A Little More Cluster Time

Chris Perry perry at hampshire.edu
Fri Jan 24 22:00:53 EST 2014

It seems that there's an easy solution which is to just lower the priority of our jobs (or raise the priority of your jobs). This should mean that whenever a task finishes on our jobs, tractor will give your higher-priority tasks the attention they need first. And as long as your higher-priority job is running, it will get the procs before the lower-priority jobs. Will this work okay for the time being?

I just lowered the priority for the tube and lilyd3 jobs that are running. I also did 'retry running tasks' on lilyd3 which killed the running renders and respooled them, which will automatically send them only to the nodes that your jobs are not running on given the lower priority.  As Bassam's frames finish (they seem pretty fast and the already-running ones should be done within minutes), new ones will only spool behind your jobs.

Tom - moving forward during this crunch period, you should just go ahead and spool at priority 121. This will cause your jobs to run at an even higher priority than our single-frame renders which means that your jobs will always get priority on the procs you can run on, and ours will receive whatever's left.

Anyone worried about this approach?  Seems to be exactly what the priority system is built for.

- chris