[Clusterusers] New nodes

Wm. Josiah Erikson wjerikson at hampshire.edu
Fri Jan 24 15:28:55 EST 2014

I'm sending this to the list, as the list may benefit from this knowledge:

Ah! I looked through the logs and figured it out. Here's what happened.
I think it's probably suitably random, but I'll leave that up to you:

-Owen (an animation student working with Perry, who I've added to this
list) spooled a render that tickled a bug in Maya that caused a simple,
routine render to chew up outrageous amounts of RAM
-Several nodes ran out of RAM
-The oom-killer (out of memory killer) killed the renders and/or your jobs

The oom-killer doesn't just kill the process that is using the most RAM
- it's more random than that, though it does prefer processes that are
using more RAM. I don't pretend to remember the exact details, but we
could look them up if it's important. However, I am pretty sure that the
oom-killer killing your jobs is probably suitably random for you to just
restart those ones.... but I'm not you, or your paper reviewers :)

We found the bug and also a workaround yesterday, so those jobs are
using reasonable amounts of RAM now.

All the best,

     -Josiah

(413) 559-6091