[Clusterusers] RAM and swap and stuff

Wm. Josiah Erikson wjerikson at hampshire.edu
Fri Nov 30 14:18:59 EST 2007

Hey all,
    I have re-configured the cluster... but I have to reinstall it for
the second part to take effect, and restart alfserver for the first part
to take effect (for maya jobs). Here're the changes:

    -no shell can allocate more than 4.2GB of RAM (I believe this
includes anything launched from a single alfserver, but I'm not sure
about this)
    -swap has been increased to 5GB (from 2GB)

    This should prevent nodes from running out of RAM and crashing.

    I could also tune certain kernel parameters to keep the kernel from
overcommitting RAM, but I don't want to do it until the 5GB of swap per
node is in place

    I was going to do it just now during that break, but the cluster
seems to be full again, so I'll wait until later.
    I'm off....

    -Josiah

--
Wm. Josiah Erikson