[Clusterusers] still need info on cluster use for grant report ASAP

Wm. Josiah Erikson wjerikson at hampshire.edu
Sat May 27 12:35:13 EDT 2006

I'm going to send this to the list so that others can elaborate (Chris
Perry is away, so perhaps he won't be checking email this weekend, so
although I don't have as much info as he does, maybe it will suffice)

Brian Kendall rendered his div III, which from my perspective had lots
to do with really pretty looking Maya grass, on the temporarily combined
cluster. However, I haven't seen it yet, and I don't know the title of
it. I'm cc'ing him on this email so that he can fill you in.

I think Evan Viera did some of the rendering for his Div III on the
cluster, but I'm not sure. I'm cc'ing him as well so he can give details
if necessary.

 cs223 (graphics for programmers) used the cluster to render a bunch of
very memory and processor intensive scenes, in particular two "crowd"
scenes that had thousands of characters each, with procedural variations
on each character. We were rendering them at HD res (1920x1080), and it
used so much RAM that even on the 4GB nodes we had to split each frame
into four pieces, because the node ran out of RAM, then ran out of swap,
and then prman crashed, understandably :)

Michael or Perry, did cs334 do any rendering on the cluster this
semester? The borders between cs334 (Originally Computer Graphics III,
otherwise known as The Uprising Project - Chris Perry's advanced
computer graphics course, which spilled over into an independent study
by the name of Computer Graphics IV this Spring) and cs223 are somewhat
fuzzy at times :)

Let me know if I can be useful in any other way.

    -Josiah