[Circulation] Important: Library Accessibility

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Wed Mar 24 11:06:42 EDT 2021

Hi Everyone,

We want to make our library, and services, as accessible to as many
patrons as possible.    I want to give you some reminders, and let you
know of some new procedures, regarding patron accessibility to the
library and APL.  It makes the most sense to break down patrons' access
options by day of the week and time of day.

Entrance to the Library and APL Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm
Patrons needing access to the elevator are able to move through the
building using the accessibility buttons to open all of the doors from
9-4 Monday - Friday.  Our accessible entrance to the building is on the
ground floor by the Post Office.  Because the outer doors are unlocked
24/7, the accessibility button on the outside of the building is always
on.  Patrons enter the building and use the accessibility buttons on the
ground floor to open all of the doors in order to reach the elevator
corridor.  Each morning, Rachel, Olivia, Sam, or I unlock the door
outside the Hampstore, and we turn on the switch for the accessibility
button there.  That button will then open the door for patrons to access
the elevator corridor.  Once they take the elevator to the first floor,
they will use the accessibility button on the pillar that holds our
hours sign (in between the entrance and exit doors), in order to open
the left side exit door to allow access to the foyer.  After they pass
through the foyer, patrons will press the accessibility button on the
right side of the APL entrance doors, and the left side APL door will
open. To exit the APL, patrons will press the accessibility button on
the right side of the APL doors, and pass in to the foyer.  They then
press the button that is located on the wood rail outside the library
exit door, and the door opens so that they can get in to the elevator.
On the ground floor, they can then use the accessibility button on the
right side of the door to pass through to the ground floor hallway to
exit the building by the Post Office.

Entrance Monday - Friday, Between 4 and 5pm
An Access supervisor locks the ground floor door before closing, usually
at 4pm.  If a patron wants to come up to the APL between 4 and 5pm, they
can call the InfoBar, and whoever is working at the InfoBar should go
down to the ground floor to let the patron pass through the door by the
Hampstore to get to the elevator.

A supervisor will lock the accessibility button at the library exit at
5pm, so patrons can get back in to the library if they are done in the
APL by 5.  However, the switch to the door by the Hampstore door will be
off, so an InfoBar staff person has to go down to push the door open for
the patron to get in to the ground floor hallway.

Entrance Monday - Friday, 5pm - Midnight
As of this writing, patrons with accessibility needs have to call Campus
Safety in order to be let in to the library to use the APL after library
staff leave at 5. This will soon change.  As of next week, APL monitors
will have access to a key that they will use to unlock the accessibility
button at the exit door, and unlock the door outside the Hampstore.
Olivia is training the monitors this week, and so these new procedures
will be in place starting next Monday.  We will be working on signs for
the door by the Hampstore, and signs that will be placed in the APL, so
that patrons know that they can ask for assistance from the APL
monitors.  You may have noticed that the courtesy phone on the cart now
has an extra long cord, this was changed so that the phone can reach to
the APL.  Patrons will call the courtesy phone (413-559-6567) in order
to ask an APL monitor to let them through the ground floor door after
5pm.

Entrance on Saturdays Noon-5 and Sundays Noon-Midnight
The APL is opened by Campus Safety on the weekends, and there are no APL
monitors on duty.  Most patrons will still need to call Campus Safety in
order to be let through the library to the APL, and back out again.  A
handful of students who are registered with OARS will be given keys to
allow them access to the APL on the weekend so that they don't have to
rely on Campus Safety.

True Curbside Pickup
I want to reiterate that our hold pick up notice indicates that if a
patron is not able to navigate stairs, we are willing to check the books
out to them and will meet them on the ground floor, or in the parking
lot behind the library, to hand their books to them.  This service, as
well as pulling books for patrons who are unable to pull their own books
from the stacks, will remain options for patrons who cannot easily get
to or maneuver about in the library. We will always accommodate patrons
who have accessibility needs, regardless if the library is closed to
patrons due to the pandemic, or completely open.

If The Accessibility Buttons Don't Work...
Though all of the supervisors strive to remember to unlock all the doors
and buttons each day, there are times when something disrupts our
routine and we may forget one.  If a patron calls to say they cannot use
a button that should be working, offer to assist them in passing through
whichever door they need to, and then tell the supervisor on duty.  We
will then check to see if the button or door didn't get unlocked, or if
the battery in the accessibility button is dead.  The accessibility
buttons are all operated by 9-volt batteries and can die at any time.  A
staff person will need to place a work order to have a dead battery
replaced.

One Final Disclaimer
Like you, APL monitors are asked to find subs if they are not able to
work their shifts.  However, if a monitor has an emergency and cannot
find a sub, it is our policy to keep the APL open for its posted hours.
If you happen to take a phone call from a patron who complains that
there was no monitor in the APL during the posted hours, please have
them contact Olivia, who supervises the APL monitors.  The patron can
also talk to any other supervisor who is on duty.  We aim to have a sign
at the monitor station that directs patrons to call Campus Safety if
there is no monitor on duty.

Please check in with me, Olivia, Sam, or Rachel, if you have any
questions about the content of this email.

Thanks,

Access Services Supervisor