[Circulation] Books Listed As Hathi Trust in the Catalog

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Mon Sep 21 15:16:44 EDT 2020

Hi All,

I want to highlight a category of books owned by the other 4 schools
that are not requestable by Hampshire patrons.  Every 5C library, except
Hampshire, belongs to HathiTrust, a not-for-profit collaborative of
academic and research libraries preserving 17+ million digitized items.
 HathiTrust  is providing emergency digital access to member
institutions during the pandemic.  At  UM for example, about half of the
library's print collection overlaps with the HathiTrust digital
collection, so the new temporary service now provides access to the
digital versions of more than 1.5 million print volumes for the duration
of the emergency, according to an announcement on the UMass library
webpage.  The result is that the print copies may not be borrowed by any
UM or 5C, patrons in order to prevent violation of copyright laws.

We had a patron try to request one of these titles today, and they got
an error message that the title was not requestable.  They called the
InfoBar, and we were able to look at the record to see that the title
has a HathiTrust designation.    I pasted in the record below so that
you can see how these records display in the catalog.  If you take such
inquiries from patrons, please encourage them to request HathiTrust
titles via ILL [1], and to designate in the ILL request that they are
unable to request it via the 5C catalog.

Please check with me, Olivia, or Sam if you have any further questions
about this email.

Thanks,

Access Services Supervisor

Links: