[Circulation] Reminders About Working at the InfoBar

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Thu Oct 24 14:24:27 EDT 2019

Hello All,

Below are some reminders that Olivia, Sam, and I have had to make
recently to some students regarding etiquette at the InfoBar. Please
read through this email carefully and ask any of us if you have
questions regarding the content of this email.

DESK ETIQUETTE:

1.While it is ok to do your schoolwork when there are no other library
assignments, please do look up from your work as patrons enter
and exit the library. Smile, nod, make some form of acknowledgement.
Besides being friendly and approachable we are doing this for security
reasons so that we know who is coming in and out of the building.

2. CELL PHONES ARE NOT TO BE USED AT THE DESK FOR CALLS OR TEXTS.
Olivia, Sam, and I will issue warnings to students who continue to use
their phones after being asked not to. If you are expecting to take an
important call during your shift please let the staff person on duty
know beforehand, and then walk away from the desk before answering the
call.

3. HEADPHONES AND EARBUDS ARE NOT TO BE WORN AT THE INFOBAR, EVER. You
may, however, use them when working in the stacks while pulling holds,
shelf-reading, or reshelving.

4. Please sit up straight at the desk, not slumped over. Though it is
comfortable, please do not rest your head on your arms while working
because it may look like you are asleep. Also, please do not sit with
your feet and / or legs resting in the return bin.

5. EATING IS NOT ALLOWED AT THE INFOBAR, NO CHIPS, NO GRANOLA BARS,
NOTHING. Covered drinks are ok. If you need to have a snack during your
five minute break please let a supervisor know and you can either move
to the counter across from the InfoBar or to one of the study tables.

6. PLEASE DISCOURAGE FRIENDS FROM VISITING YOU WHILE YOU ARE WORKING!
Saying a quick hello is ok, engaging in conversation for more than 5
minutes to the point that you look busy to patrons is not. And friends
are not to be sitting with you behind the InfoBar, even on the weekends
when staff are not here. If your friends linger more than a few minutes,
please remind them that you are at work and cannot visit with them. If
you don't, Olivia, Sam, or I will remind them for you.

7. Please do not wander away from the InfoBar without telling someone
where you are going. If you need to use the restroom, please tell your
nearest coworker or supervisor if there is not someone else at the desk,
so that we do not also walk away thinking you are at the InfoBar.

8. Lastly, the patron head counts should only take a few minutes. They
are not opportunities for you to stop and visit with your friends. Do
what you need to do, and then return to the InfoBar.

Please check in with me, Olivia, or Sam if you have questions about this
email. None of these reminders should be new to you, because they have
been longstanding policies and guidelines.

Thank you,

Suzanne

 -