[Circulation] Important Reminders: Various Things

Suzanne Karanikis smkLO at hampshire.edu
Mon Sep 19 16:04:54 EDT 2016

Hi All,

Here are several reminders regarding things I've noticed at the InfoBar:

KEY BOX: The key box has been unlocked the past 3 mornings that I've
opened, which defeats the purpose of having a locked box. I realize it
is inconvenient, but you really must lock it each time you remove a key.

RESERVE AND 5 COLLEGE BOOKS ON RETURN CARTS:  Please pay attention to
the owning institution when putting returned books on the reshelving
carts or the 5C return shelves. This week I've found: a UM book with our
yellow reserve tape on the UM return shelf and not on the reserve shelf,
an Amherst book with yellow reserve tape on one of the Hampshire
reshelving carts, and just this morning another Amherst book on our
return cart. So, when sorting returns, please look first at the barcode
to determine if the book belongs on the Hampshire reshelving cart or 5C
return shelf. Any 5C items with yellow reserve tape really are on
reserve and need to be shelved with the rest of the reserves, and not
sent back to their home institutions. Please do also be careful to not
put 5C books on the reshelving carts.

HOLD SHELF: Pay attention when you are processing the incoming holds and
putting books on the hold shelf by last name. I've noticed a lot of
mis-shelved books on the hold shelves lately and we don't want to tell
patrons their books haven't come if they are simply in the wrong places.

POSTING TO THE CIRCSTAFF LIST: I want to make sure that you are all
aware that I've subscribed you with your Hampshire email addresses.
Please be aware that if you post from your Gmail account your message
will be held until a supervisor allows it to post to the list, which is
not at all helpful if you are looking for coverage of an evening shift
and we are all gone for the day. The way you can get around this is to
change your Gmail setting to send mail from your Hampshire address. Go
to Settings, the Accounts and Import, then Send Mail As.

Also, when you post sub requests, please try to avoid using Today or
Tonight in the subject line. Please do include the day of the week and
the date, just to be clear, in addition to the time of the shift.

RESHELVING GAMES AND DVDS:  Returning students should have noticed that
the DVD collection was moved out to the shelves outside the Reference
offices. Because they are now accessible, you should be reshelving the
DVDs as soon as you return them, the same as CDs. Likewise, the games
should be reshelved immediately after confirming all the pieces are
there and after checking the game in from the patron. New this semester:
the games have 3 shelving areas. First, the games are sectioned off by
the first letter of the title. They don't have to be in perfect order on
the shelf, but at least shelved with the right letter. Second, there are
Oversize games in large boxes. Lastly, there are Small games in smaller
sized boxes. Please take a look to become familiar with these new
sections.

This was still in my drafts and was supposed to have gone out on Friday,
so I apologize to you all because I did have a reminder in there about
time cards being due last weekend.