[Circulation] Research referrals-- helpful review of how to best help patrons

Rachel Beckwith rbeckwith at hampshire.edu
Fri Oct 24 11:07:23 EDT 2014

Dear Circ Staff,
The Hampshire Librarians recently met to talk about what to do when we
cannot make our InfoBar shifts.   We always try to get a sub when one of
us has a schedule conflict, but in the case you are working in the
library and there is not a librarian at the InfoBar as there should be
(Monday through Wednesdays 1-6 pm and Thursdays 1-4 pm), please follow
the procedure below for research help referrals.     And of course this
procedure will also work for all the rest of the time when there is not
a librarian scheduled to be out there (mornings, evenings, and weekends).
Please ask me if you have any questions about below.
Rachel

Procedure for desk staff if no librarian is at the Infobar:

If someone comes for research help during a time when no one is
available, desk staff will give the person a bookmark with all the
research help options. S/he can lead or direct the person back to the
librarians' office area, to anyone whose office door is open.

If there are no open doors, desk staff will record the contact
information of the person asking the question and whatever information
they'd like to leave (specific question, class that they are writing a
paper for, whatever) in Gimlet: https://hampshire.gimlet.us

After saving the question to Gimlet, email it to askharold at hampshire.edu
<mailto:askharold at hampshire.edu>by clicking on the email icon to the
left of the question.

This way, librarians can log all of the questions we get when there is
no one out there, and we will follow up by replying to the emails.

--
Rachel Beckwith
Access and Arts Librarian

phone: 413-559-5433