[Circulation] Noise on the Upper Floors and Other InfoBar Etiquette Reminders

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Tue Mar 4 11:51:07 EST 2014

Hello All,

Some important reminders regarding your job:

-PATRONS HAVE COMPLAINED THAT THE 2ND AND 3RD FLOORS ARE NOISY.
Please don't forget that the first floor is fine for conversation, but
that the 2nd and 3rd floors are the quiet floors.  At least two
patrons have complained about noise on the upper floors recently.  One
complaint accused a library student worker of engaging in a loud
conversation with patrons upstairs.  This is to remind you that you
must lead by example.  If you go upstairs to do head counts, shelving,
or shelf-reading you too must speak quietly if you see a friend and
want to quickly say hello.  Some signs have been posted on the upper
floors reminding patrons that the upper floors are for quiet study,
and more will be posted soon.

-NO EATING OR TEXTING AT THE DESK PLEASE!  The no eating rule has been
extended to small snacks such as granola bars and yogurt.  If you must
have a snack during your shift you are welcome to sit at the counter
next to the InfoBar to quickly eat it. CELL PHONES ARE NOT TO BE USED
FOR CALLS OR TEXTS DURING YOUR SHIFT!

-WE'VE CREATED A SHELF FOR BOOKS IN NEED OF REPAIR.  The shelf is the
middle one, at the bottom of the reserve stacks.  Place any books that
need new barcodes or spine labels here, as well as any that are losing
pages or are falling apart in any way.  Don't forget to check this
shelf, as well as the reshelving carts, when a patron tells you they
can't find an available book in the stacks.

-HAMPSHIRE PATRONS MAY NOW PLACE HOLDS ON AVAILABLE HAMPSHIRE BOOKS.
I don't think I made a formal announcement about this, but we have
changed our settings so that Hampshire patrons may now place holds on
Hampshire books in the catalog and then check them out at the InfoBar.
  UM and MH have already been doing this to provide better service to
their patrons.  It also helps us in that patrons are able to easily
place requests on five college copies when ours are missing or on
search.

-SPRING BREAK SCHEDULE: THE LIBRARY IS OPEN BUT WORK IS OPTIONAL
A couple of students have asked about working during spring break.
You will be expected to work your regular shifts through midnight
Friday, 3/14.  After that work is optional through Friday, 3/21.  I
will post a temporary schedule where students who want to work during
spring break may sign up for shifts.  Here is the complete spring
break schedule:

Saturday and Sunday, 3/15 and 3/16: CLOSED
Monday - Thursday, 3/17 - 3/20: Open 8:30am - 10:00pm
Friday, 3/21: Open 8:30am - 4:30pm
Saturday, 3/22: CLOSED
Sunday, 3/23: Open Regular Hours through Midnight.

Please contact me if you have questions, comments, concerns about
anything addressed in this email.

Thank you,

ph:  413-559-5762
fax: 413-559-5419