[Circulation] SHELF READING BEGINS MONDAY!

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Sun Mar 10 11:39:10 EDT 2013

Hello All,

This is to announce that you will begin regularly shelf reading the
stacks beginning tomorrow.  The specifics of what shelf reading is and
how to do it follow.  Every student (except those already assigned
special projects by the librarians) will be expected to do 30 minutes
of shelf reading per shift.  Bev will be in charge of overseeing this
project but Courtney and I will be sending students up to shelf read
as well.  We will begin with the heaviest used and probably messiest
ranges, HQ, PN, PR, PS, and TR.  Each time you shelf read you will
check the black leather log book that will be kept on the student work
station in the circulation office to see where you should begin.  You
will log your name, the date, and the range that you "read."  Make
sure to bring up a pencil and piece of scrap to log where you left off
when you come back downstairs.  In addition you will move a manila
folder to the end of the range that you finished as a visual reminder
of where the next person should begin.  Bev will be spot-checking your
ranges periodically. I've attached a document explaining exactly how
you will shelf read, and a document lifted from the University of
Louisville Libraries explaining how to read call numbers.  Please read
through both and ask Bev or me if you have any questions before you
begin shelf reading.

Thank you for helping us perform this very important library job.

ph:  413-559-5762
fax: 413-559-5419

Follow the Library on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/hamplibrary