[Circulation] possible printer / copier issues

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Fri Sep 11 23:44:07 EDT 2009

Hello All,

Here are some ways to troubleshoot the printer issues I've encountered over the
week.  If a patron tells you they are unable to print:

1.  Ask if the printer they sent their job to was named BW (black and white); if
that was not one of the choices the computer they were using may not be
configured to print.

2.   Ask if the patron got the boxes to enter login and password when sending
the print job.  If not, the computer they were on: a) was not configured, or b)
stopped printing because it was logged on for a while.  In the case of a) ask
the patron to try sending the job from another computer. The IT staff knows
about b and is working on a solution.  We've seen computers that printed most
of the day stop prompting for logins and passwords - right now the only answer
is to restart the computer until another fix is discovered.

3.  If the add value computer stops taking money (and doesn't flash when patrons
hit the add value button), the acceptor is probably full or jammed.  I hope it
doesn't fill up on the weekend, but if it does let me know and I may be able to
empty it so students can continue to use it.

4.  If the add value computer freezes after a patron adds money, hit
control-alt-delete and end the task that is running on the machine.  The
computer will reset and the patron should be able to exit out of their account.

It is important to convey to patrons that we (the library staff, the copier
company, and IT) are still working out the kinks.  Please report any
weirdnesses to me as I am in close contact with the copier folks while we try
to work out all the bugs.  Giving me the date and the time will help because we
can look back through the logs on the machines to help diagnose what happened.

Please check in with me if any of this is unclear.