[Circulation] important reminders

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Wed Apr 6 14:08:53 EDT 2005

Hello Everyone,

Things to keep in mind at the desk:

_Students On Leave or Field Study_
Students on leave or field study do not have borrowing privileges.  If a
student with such status attempts to borrow a book and but their record
is expired or not in the database at all - DO NOT CHECK BOOKS OUT TO
THEM MANUALLY.  Believe what III tells you.  I expire or delete the
records of patrons who are not eligible to borrow.  Yes, you will have
to tell the patron that they may not borrow books at that time, and they
may contact me for an explanation.  It has long been noted in the Non
Satis Non Scire that students on leave or field study do not have
borrowing privileges, and no, we will not register them as visitors for
the time they are on leave.

_Pay Attention to Patron Names
_If a patron does not have his or her ID and wishes to check books out,
please be extremely careful in choosing the correct patron record.  If
III finds 2 patrons of the same name, please ask the patron for their
middle initial.  Once you are in the record make sure that you selected
the right one by checking the student's patron type (i.e. Hampshire
Student).   I just encountered a UMass student who replied to an overdue
notice because some books were checked out to his record, rather than to
the Hampshire student of the same name who actually borrowed them.

Please contact me if you have any questions about this e-mail.

413-559-5762