[Circulation] Patriot Act

Suzanne Karanikis skaranikis at hampshire.edu
Wed Oct 29 11:17:12 EST 2003

--
Hello Everyone,

It has come to my attention that I never addressed the Patriot Act
with any of the new workers. Listed below is a procedure for dealing
with requests for library information by law enforcement officials,
as well as a link to the page describing the college's response.

Please ask me or Chris if you have any questions about this.

Suzanne

What You Should Know about the USA PATRIOT Act

Procedurally: If you are approached at the circulation desk by a law
enforcement official seeking access to library or computing records,
data, or equipment, refer the inquiring officer(s) directly to Gai
Carpenter, the library director.

You should also be aware that there is a gag order implicit in all
transactions associated with this act. This means that if you are
approached by an official, it is unlawful for you to disclose to
anyone that this contact has occurred. "Anyone" means anyone. Even
your supervisors, your fellow workers, your friends and family, or
the person whose records are under investigation.

Hampshire College's response to provisions of the USA PATRIOT ACT
http://www.hampshire.edu/cms/index.php?id=837