[ASL] ASL Lunch and Smith meeting notes!

Amy Hambidge aah09 at hampshire.edu
Mon Oct 22 21:36:51 EDT 2012

Hi all!

Here's your weekly reminder about ASL Lunch on Wednesday!  And below
are some awesome notes and advice from the Smith ASL club (which meets
Monday nights at 6 in Chase-Duckett!).

ASL Lunch
Every Wednesday, 12:00-1:00pm (or whenever you need to leave!)
Dining Commons, Back room
Swipe in if on the meal plan or sign in on the sheet with Roberta
(only if you do not have a meal plan).

***Please note: the ASL Lunches are voices-off zones!***
Out of respect for those who want to practice and converse in sign,
please do not use your voice.  Bring a pen and paper or a dictionary
if you would feel more comfortable.  These are spaces to practice
informally, but the best way to learn is to forget your voice at the
door!  :).

See you soon!
Peace,
Amy, Elisabeth, and Jessie

Okay, this is the last email you will receive from us (tonight),
promise! :) Just wanted to pass along this essential note from Shanna
re: navigating Deaf Culture:

I just wanna add to your list of Deaf culture rules...always ask a
deaf person what their communication mode preference is. For some,
lipreading IS easier because they do not know any ASL! One just never
knows...don't ever assume all Deaf people sign, or all Deaf people
lipread, for that matter. Some even use cued speech! :) I have a Deaf
friend who is most comfortable with a pen and paper in hand.

Thanks, Shanna!

Have a good night, all.

--Madeleine and Emily, Secretaries

----- Forwarded message from Stuorg American Sign Language and Deaf
Culture Club <aslclub at smith.edu> -----
    Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 20:45:08 -0400
    From: Stuorg American Sign Language and Deaf Culture Club
<aslclub at smith.edu>

Also, here is a resource to review the colours. (Just scroll down and click
on a word to see a video of the sign.)

http://www.signingsavvy.com/wordlist/colors

Best,
Madeleine and Emily, Secretaries