[Asianmedia] Chinese Movie Marathon!

Sam Ross sar04 at hampshire.edu
Mon Apr 9 18:58:23 EDT 2007

Geez, I make the posters, I spend all the time putting them up and then I
completely forget to send out the weekly email. I feel shamed.

Anywho, this week is not a normal screening. It's our extra-awesome Chinese
Movie Marathon, a collection of three movies produced in China and Hong Kong.
This takes place on Wednesday, April 11th in the East Lecture Hall of FPH, and
free pizza will be offered, so come on time so you can grab a slice.

The movies we're showing are:
6PM - Electric Shadows:
Set in modern-day Beijing and 1970s Ningxia, director Xiao Jiang's debut feature
explores the power of movies in launching dreams and creating memories. After a
bicycle collision leaves Mao Dabing (Xia Yu) with a lump on his head, he
promises Ling Ling (Qi Zhongyang), the girl he hit, that he'll care for her
fish while she's recuperating. When he stumbles across her diary, he learns the
truth about her past -- which rekindles his love of cinema.

8PM - Shower:
Wealthy big-city executive Da Ming (Pu Cun Xin) returns to his boyhood
home, where his aging father (Zhu Xu) and mentally disabled brother (Jiang Wu)
run an old-fashioned communal bathhouse. At first, Da longs to return to his
job. But soon, the leisurely pace and abundant camaraderie of the
bathhouse, where men gather to chat and play games, has Da thinking twice about
leaving his family.

10PM - Infernal Affairs:
The basis for Martin Scorsese’s The Departed, Wai Keung Lau and Siu Fai   Mak’s
Infernal affairs tells the story of an undercover cop trying to uncover a mole
in the police department who’s been leaking info to the Triad gangs. This leads
to a deadly game of cat and mouse as both the mole and himself try to identify
each other without exposing themselves.

Our regular series, "Great Teacher Onizuka" will return next week, but in the
meantime, come see some awesome movies while munching on free pizza.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
-Sam Ross

--
Sam Ross