[Asianmedia] Screening for 4-6-06

Sam Ross sar04 at hampshire.edu
Thu Apr 6 00:33:00 EDT 2006

Be brave, Asian Media, the final stretch is upon us. With great courage and
cooperation we will succeed and see it through!

In the meantime, we've got a pretty damn awesome Akira Kurosawa marathon going
on next week.

Who's Akira Kurosawa, you ask? I'm ashamed of you, too lazy to look it up on
wiki, huh?

Well, to give you the long and the short, he's one of the best known Japanese
directors in the entire freaking world and has his work has influenced famous
Hollywood people including Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Quentin Tarentino
and countless others.

But as they say on Reading Rainbow; "don't take my word for it", come and check
out his amazing movies yourself. After all, WHAT ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO DO ON
ADVISING DAY?

So here's the schedule:
1:00PM - Ikiru - Kanji Watanabe has worked in the same bureaucratic position for
decades and spends his life doing nothing until one day when he is diagnosed
with cancer and given a year to live. Since nothing can be done to save him, he
begins to look for meaning in his life.

3:30PM - Yojimbo - Yojimbo, a wandering samurai arrives at a small town which is
being ruined by competing crime lords. To save the town, he manages to convince
both sides to hire him as a bodyguard and carefully begins to pit them against
each other.

5:30PM - Seven Samurai - Long heralded worldwide as one of the best movies ever
made, seven samurai tells the tale of a poor village plagued by bandits. Since
they don't know how to fight themselves, they hire seven unemployed samurai to
protect them.

9:00PM - Dreams - A collection of eight short films based on dreams Kurosawa had
at various stages of his life. Stars Martin Scorsese and co-produced by Steven
Spielberg.

So that's the deal folks. Like almost every week, Asian Media will be in the
East Lecture Hall of FPH. There will also be a pizza dinner at 5:30 and snacks
throughout the day, so come eat your heart out.

Sayonara,
Sam

--
Sam Ross