[Asianmedia] 9-29-05 Showing

Samuel sar04 at hampshire.edu
Mon Sep 26 21:41:28 EDT 2005

Hello all, and welcome to the awesomely fantastical Asian Media email list!

>From now on unless otherwise stated, this is the weekly screening information
for Asian Media.

Thursday nights 8:00PM
Franklin Patterson Hall-West Lecture Hall

Okay, I kinda fudged around last Thursday when it came to what we were showing
this week but here it is:

Densha Otoko-A live-action show that actually only just finished it's 11 episode
run in Japan, Densha Otoko or Train Man tells the story of a Japanese Otaku in
his 20's who saves a pretty girl from a groper on a train, and then in typical
otaku fashion, chronicles his subsequent dates with the woman and requests for
help on a BBS. This show is actually originally based on a series of threads on
the BBS in the show which actually exists, which evolved into a novel, a comic
adaptation and finally a movie because of it's popularity in Japan. Plus, it's
pretty damn funny.

Midori no Hibi-Translated in the states as "Midori Days", It's an anime centered
around Seiji Sawamura, your average seventeen year old guy. Problem is, Seiji is
constantly getting into fights, which intimidates girls, so he's never had a
girlfriend despite all his efforts. One night he's lying alone in his room
bemoaning his fate and says that it doesn't matter who, he just wants a
girlfriend. Suddenly, a female voice says "Really?" And I won't say anything
more about it so that the surprise isn't spoiled, but this anime is hilareous.

Finally, and I know this is a long email but bare with me,
I was approached by someone who represents Pheonix Games, a store which is
holding a private screening of the upcoming movie Serenity on 9:55PM Friday
night at Cinemark in the Hampshire Mall. Now if you're a fan of the show
Firefly, or even if you've never heard of it, you all need to see this movie.
So if you want to buy a ticket, come with to the screening this Thursday with
$7.00 and I will be delighted to sign you up.

So that's it folks, I promise the email won't be so long next week! See you on
Thursday! If you have any questions or comments about asian media, send me an
email at sar04 at hampshire.edu.

-Sam