[Yurt] Weekly Yurt Digest

The Yurt Media Center radiocontact at hampshire.edu
Mon Mar 9 14:15:22 EDT 2015

Hello Yurtlings!

We want to make the work that the Yurt Student Group does more
transparent to encourage your participation in various Yurt projects, as
well as foster R-E-S-P-E-C-T! So we will be sending weekly Yurt digest
emails. Please read these, and feel free to respond! We would be more
than tickled if you did.

Email Dilemma

After many months of people asking us why we weren't responding to
emails and us being like "what are you talking about, we check the yurt
email daily and have responded to everyone"-- we have figured out the
problem. There are two yurt email accounts. Why? Who knows. Hampshire IT
has been emailed, hopefully they will delete the radioyurt email and
RADIOCONTACT at HAMPSHIRE.EDU will be the one and only place yurt-related
emails live.

So, tell your friends: RADIOCONTACT at HAMPSHIRE.EDU. People have been
frustrated with us and we want you to know that we love you and only
work to make your radio dreams come true. So please be nice, and don't
assume that we stay up late trying to ruin your life or take pleasure in
ignoring you. If you have critiques or suggestions on how we can make
the Yurt even more awesome, we want to hear it!

Equipment Updates

Sometimes Yurt equipment doesn't work. We do everything we can to fix
things and submit requests for new equipment, but we need YOUR help to
know what things are and are not working in the Yurt.

Currently, we know Ext Input B is not broadcasting levels equally. For
now, plug in your audio devices with Ext Input A. We are also aware that
the red headphones used to listen broadcast output are not working.
Additionally, the yurt phone rings but callers cannot be heard over the
air. Be patient as we work to find solutions to these problems!

Vinyl needles have been ordered! If you are interested in playing
records, your time has almost come. BUT! To prevent the needles from
being broken and going through the process of praying to the CLA gods to
pay for new equipment, the needles will be kept in a lockbox inside the
Yurt. If you would like to use them, please respond to this email. We
will compile your names into a list and give you the lockbox combo IF
you participate in a mini vinyl workshop or demonstrate you know how to
play vinyl without damaging stuff.

The Yurt's Soundcloud

Follow us on Soundcloud! Check it out HERE [1]. We are in the process of
uploading various audio including current & archived shows and funny
voicemails we get. If you would like to submit audio (your private
podcast, your grunge band's new EP, your field recording of the
hampshire woods, etc), send it along and we will upload it!

We are in the process of finding/switching out the recording computer in
the yurt with one that will be dedicated to recording your live shows
right into Soundcloud. Stay tuned for updates!

The Yurt & Social Media

Do you have promotional images of your show? We want to help you share
them and increase you listenership! Send the Yurt Facebook your images
at least an hour or two before your show and we will post them. Don't be
shy, you are all unique butterflies with marvelously creative forms of
expression.

If you have artsy (or not) images of the yurt, your show, or anything
else related in image-form and would like to have them posted on the
Yurt's Instagram account (yurt.radio), text them to Ben! (818)-389-0692

Community Norms Reminder

Yurt Radio is not regulated by the FCC (aka, the people who don't allow
swearing and other naughty stuff on the airwaves) and we encourage free
expression of speech BUT that you must abide by Hampshire College's
Community Norms [2] (see section on "Right of Freedom of Communication
of Ideas"). Shows that broadcast offensive material or threaten the
safety of community members will be contacted. Continued broadcasts of a
similar nature will result in the cancellation of your show, revocation
of email access to the Yurt, and formal action taken up with the
appropriate administrative members of the college.

Feeling unsure of what is and isn't appropriate to broadcast? Shoot us
an email! We are more than happy to talk it out. Talking is our thing.
That's why we do radio.

New Yurt Website

Are you tired of the Yurt website? So are we! Do you know how to design
websites? We don't... but we are willing to give you CEL (or potential
compensation, if permitted) for a brand-spanking new website that will
broadcast the Yurt Radio, have a nicer-looking calendar and incorporate
our social media outlets.

New Shows

_HampNews, 8:30am daily_

Are you an early bird? Are you not an early bird and need help waking up
for that 9:00am class? Tune in every morning at 8:30am for the latest,
freshest, hottest and crunchiest campus news. If you are interested in
becoming a morning news reporting, send us an email and we will put you
on the rotation.

_Classical Homework 8:45-10:00am, Tuesdays_

Need to get homework done, but too cool to go to the library? Need music
that will put you in the mood to glue your eyes to a dense text? Tune in
or Drop by Tuesday Mornings from 8:45-10:00am to accompany your studying
with classical music selections from Grant and Tess!

Stay tuned for more Yurt News. Brought to you by:

Kira deCoudres & The Yurt

Links:
------
[1] https://soundcloud.com/theyurt