[Yurt] Phone and Ads

radiocontact at hampshire.edu radiocontact at hampshire.edu
Fri Mar 2 14:42:27 EST 2012

My fellow Yurtizens,
I'm glad to report that the phone is now 100% operational.

Here's how you use it:
1. Announce the number (413-559-6766) on air and/or on whatever social media
platform you may be using for your show. You can't call out, only in.
2. Watch for the red light between the Yurtmaster monitor and the board to
flash.
3. Mute the mic for whoever's going to be speaking into the phone and turn up
the Phone slider: both the person talking into the phone and the person on the
other end of the line will be audible and controlled by the Phone slider. This
is a departure from the way things used to be, but a change for the better.
4. Talk.
5. When you're done, turn down the phone slider before you hang the phone up -
otherwise, there'll be a loud, clippy noise when you put it down.

Some other things to note:
I've turned up the overall broadcast volume sliders to compensate for the
relatively quiet phone. Don't be surprised if you don't have to slide yourself
as far up as usual, and keep an eye on your levels!

John Bruner's Sound Design class has made a lovely selection of new,
time-relevant ads for several Yurt shows, the Yurt itself, and several offices,
fixtures, and student groups on campus. There's an Ads playlist on Yurtmaster's
iTunes now which we encourage you to put on in shuffle/repeat in that awkward
4-minute space when you're setting up and the previous DJ is putting their
stuff away. For longer breaks, please continue to use the re-runs playlist.
Also, please fill some blank time in your show with ads on the Ads, Bumpers,
and Spots Soundbyte rack, also on Yurtmaster.

- Greg