[YellowBike] Fwd: next critic at 1 ma55

whk06 at hampshire.edu whk06 at hampshire.edu
Mon Apr 2 15:15:33 EDT 2007

Sound like fun? Bike parade/craziness?

wheels

----- Forwarded message from qms05 at hampshire.edu -----
    Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 17:34:53 -0400
    From: qms05 at hampshire.edu
 Subject: next critic at 1 ma55
      To: cjk05 at hampshire.edu, lkg06 at hampshire.edu, pab05 at hampshire.edu,
rsu-info at stuaf.umass.edu, kmr03 at hampshire.edu, hjeb02 at hampshire.edu,
odss at hampshire.edu, jmirkin at student.umass.edu, jgerber at psis.umass.edu,
mcss at hampshire.edu, os06 at hampshire.edu, elw06 at hampshire.edu,
gsc05 at hampshire.edu, ahurter at wesleyan.edu, noambahat at yahoo.com,
jmp05 at hampshire.edu, ncm05 at hampshire.edu, kft05 at hampshire.edu,
wff06 at hampshire.edu, jojomnky at gmail.com, sdh05 at hampshire.edu,
mmk04 at hampshire.edu, msk06 at hampshire.edu, bmb06 at hampshire.edu,
brb04 at hampshire.edu, hua at lists.riseup.net, whk06 at hampshire.edu,
avc06 at hampshire.edu, sml03 at hampshire.edu

I'm thinking that the next massive critique would coincide particularly well
with the 'Step it Up' parade that is happening on April 14th. There will be a
parade from the Hitchcock Center to Hampshire college at approximately 3pm with
greasecars, banners, etc. I thought maybe we could join/lead/wreak havoc in the
wake of the parade.

We had a great turnout this past Friday. Let's see if we can get more folks out
for the next one, and more press as well.

I've copied the press release for the Step it Up event below. If you think this
is a good time and place, spread the word, start publicity, etc. If you think
it sucks, let me know ASAP.

Pioneer Valley Unites to call on Congress to CUT Carbon by 80% by 2050
Amherst, MA, 4/14/2007: The Amherst town community, along with students from
Hampshire, Mt. Holyoke and Amherst College, are joining together on April 14th
for their part in a nation-wide campaign to show Congress that we care about
climate change. The event is called Step It Up 2007, and unites cities, towns,
colleges, and individuals across the nation to rally for Congress to enact a
law cutting carbon emissions by 80% by 2050.

1-3pm at the Hitchcock Center, 525 South Pleasant Street (Route 116) Amherst

Transportation is currently the largest contributor to carbon emissions. Come to
the Hitchcock Center’s Greening the Roadways festival to see green
transportation possibilities in person and even test drive so high-efficiency
and clean-energy vehicles. We will have simultaneous workshops (from 1-2:30pm)
on grease and biodiesel production in the valley, ZipCars, making your car more
efficient, electric hybrid bicycles, and other green transportation topics.
There will also be lots of alternative vehicles to see, from gas/electric
hybrids, new kinds of bicycles, and cars that run on grease and biodiesel. And
bring the kids to learn about climate change! Local artists will be on hand to
help children make prints and posters, fabric paintings, and t-shirts that
convey the message to congress about cutting carbon emissions. This is a free
event for the whole family.  We have car parking, but please come by foot,
bike, bus or carpool. PVTA buses #31 and #38 stop nearby, just a short walk to
the Hitchcock Center.
3 pm parade from the Hitchcock Center to Hampshire College Campus- Event
organized by student group New Leaf, dedicated to community sustainability at
Hampshire.

The Greening the Roadways Festival and Step It Up 2007 will be "On Parade" at
3:00 pm, walking, biking, and driving green vehicles down Rte. 116 as well as
carrying a laundry line of signs that promote awareness about climate change.
Upon arriving at Hampshire College at 5pm, we will celebrate on the colleges'
library lawn with dinner, tabling, Step It Up t-shirts, storytellers, movie
showings, local bands, and government representatives.

For more information or to participate in the festival please contact Debbi
Friedlander, Amherst town member and Hampshire Alumni.

 (413) 253-0179
 DebbiFriedlander at verizon.net

Student Contacts:
Emily Conyngham- egc06 at hampshire.edu