[YellowBike] late but great

bdl03 at hampshire.edu bdl03 at hampshire.edu
Sat Apr 29 16:53:26 EDT 2006

So, it turns out I've sent a few e-mails to the wrong yellow bike address.
Here's a note about last thurs. and the approaching close of the semester. We
met today and some great folks were around fixing bikes and painting signs.
We'll have an 'official' sign hanging opening party after classes are over and
we can all take a bit of a break. See you all Thurs. night (meeting still on
for 8pm-at the yellow bike space?), if not before. Actually, I hope I'll see
most, if not all, of you out on Mon. to ride into town at 11.30.

Until then...

howdy yelow bike e-mail receivers,

we had meeting tonight that worked itself into a work party. starting to get
organized for next year and lots of exciting stuff to get done before then.
let's keep our usual meeting this saturday at 1pm and maybe it'll work itself
into a bit of a meeting.

this is also a call out to all folks who get these e-mails and want to come and
be a part of yellow bike. a few of us are leaving next year and it's important
to make sure that we all know how to take up the yellow bike tasks that will
keep it an organized and effective group on campus. This means that we'll be
doing some more skill sharing along the lines of navigating catalogues,
ordering parts, working with administrative folks to convince them they want to
do us favors, putting together effective programs, etc. i know we all have a
bunch of collective experience, in and outside of yellow bike itself, and a
bunch of good input to share. so, let's get it together and maybe even write up
some goals or ideas to come back to fresh at the begining of next year.

some projects to be started/completed that are on the 'table' are: work bench
construction (kat's all about this one and is wondering who's gonna pitch in.),
filing system for all yellow bike related information (otis is going to work on
this one, so think about things you want to put in it), mural ideas (it's not
too late, turn them into kat so that we can get some paint from mike ford!),
and well, there're more things to be done, so think 'em up and let see if
other's want to help with.

we have a bit of money left, so if someone wants to go shopping we could get
food for sat. or the next week. as long as the receipts are submitted before
wed. [wed. is the absolute final day to submit to ficom]. the rest of the
budget is going to go to parts, and when those come in we can do some more
organizing and get excited about next year.

i've been writing a ton so that's it... post your ideas and comments on this
list and come voice them this saturday [or just come work on some bikes]. see
you all then

otis

p.s. this is going around campus and is going to be an important event. lot's of
folks, students and professors and hopefully more, are going to be out acting in
solidarity with the Immigrants Rights Movement, which is all about civil and
human rights that affect us all, on Monday, May 1st. you may know all about it,
and hopefully you've sent this letter to ralph. but if you haven't, think about
it. I put in an announcement about a bike contingent riding into town that
monday, and bike fixing on saturday at yellow bike for those riding. if anyone
has input or reactions to me using yellow bike to do this let me know. here's
the letter that's being circulated by the Hampshire May Day Coalition. alter it
and personalize it as you see fit. thanks.

Dear Ralph,

        In solidarity with the nation-wide immigrants rights protest, we're
asking you to close down Hampshire College on Monday, May 1. As of today
(Friday, April 28) faculty have organized a teach in on the issue, which we
strongly urge you to attend. On Monday, May 1, the Five College Coalition for
Immigrants Rights (the May Day Coalition) is organizing a public action at
Amherst Commons. We hope to see you there.

        As an institution it is important for us to take a stand for human
rights. This bill (HR4437) will negatively affect members of the Hampshire
community. Hampshire College has a responsibility as a socially conscious
institution to uphold and promote social justice issues and to support the
rights of all people.

        We expect you to close Hampshire College on Monday, May 1.

Thank you,
****** YOUR * NAME * HERE *******
in solidarity with the Hampshire May Day Coalition