[YellowBike] Bike Cart Building Workshop at Hampshire College this Saturday

aaron afw01 at hampshire.edu
Mon Nov 15 12:43:08 EST 2004

BIKE CARTS FOR HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE!

Learn to build cheap, simple bike carts to haul stuff behind your
bicycle.
This Saturday, November 20. 10:00 am until we're done, (probably mid
afternoon)
Limit 10 people (at a time. as in, if some people only want to come for
a little bit, we can work something out with more people.)

Send me an email if you want to participate. (Try to let me know before
Thursday.) You can email me for information, but only tell me that you
will do the workshop if you almost definitely will, because the space
is so limited.

Details:

This Saturday, I am offering a bike cart building workshop for the
community. Part of my Div II and Div III has been to design a low cost
and low tech bike cart that can be built in communities to work towards
car independence.  The carts are made from metal tubing (thin-wall
electrical conduit) and are brazed together using an oxy-acetylene
torch.

In the workshop we will make 2 to 4 carts (depending on the time and
how much we want to have an assembly line) that will live at the House
Offices. They will be made available for anyone to use for grocery
shopping, moving from room to room, taking out the recycling, giving
friends rides....

We will be cutting tubes with hack saws, bending them with a conduit
bender, mitering joints (making them fit well) with a half-round file,
drilling a few holes, and brazing the tubes together with an
oxy-acetylene torch.

The workshop will be in the Lemelson Center on Hampshire Campus. To
participate you need to be either a 5-college student/professor or have
permission by Aaron and Donna. (It's about liability and insurance.)

Call or email for more information and to sign up.

Aaron Wieler
413 559 5901
afw01 AT hampshire DOT edu