[YellowBike] Yellowbikes & local Schools?

itw02 at hampshire.edu itw02 at hampshire.edu
Mon Feb 23 16:17:39 EST 2004

Hey Yellowbikers,

The Hilltown Bike Club in Haydenville (West of Noho) recently conntacted us
with the hope of connecting our two programs. The following explains their
project and how we could become involved with it. This could be really exciting
for anybody whose interested in bikes, youth, and community development. Email
Aaron or I and we'll get you hooked up with them.
Tires on the town,
Ian
itw02 at hampshire.edu

---------------
Hilltown Bike Club - Mission Statement:
HBS teaches students from Hilltown Cooperative Charter School to rebuild and
repair bikes from donated used bikes and bike parts.  These bikes will in turn
be donated back to families in the community who could otherwise not afford
bicycles.  HBS gives participants an opportunity to participate in a meaningful
community service project while developing the skills to service their own
bikes, and fosters both their independence and cooperative working skills.  HBS
helps promote the principles of a sustainable community through the reuse and
maintenance of bicycles.  It also provides a viable and practical
transportation option for Pioneer Valley residents.

HBS Program Logistics:
Currently, the club meets on Fridays from 3-5 PM.  We typically have between 5-
10 students each club session.  Currently, we've limited the club to grades 5-
8.  At club sessions, students have the opportunity to work on their own bikes
or on bikes that will be donated to the community.  We ask that students spend
atleast half of their time working on bikes that will be donated to the
community.

School Logistics:
Hilltown Cooperative Charter School is located in Haydenville, on Rt 9,
approximately 10 minutes west of Northampton (~25-30 minutes from Hampshire
College).  It is located in the former Brassworks Factory.  We have access to a
screened in pavillion to store bicycles and tools, and have permission to hold
club sessions in the school's "all-school" space.

Hampshire Yellow Bike's potential role:
The two coordinators (Noah and Jacob) of HBC are leaving in mid-March.  We are
looking for volunteers to take our place by supervising afterschool work
sessions.  This is an opportunity to expand the Hampshire Yellow Bike program,
and to give Hampshire students solid experience teaching and with youth
development.  Anyone interested in helping with this program is strongly
encouraged to visit the school during one of the remaining work sessions, (Feb
27th, March 5th, and March 12th).

Newspaper article on the Hilltown Bike Club:

Youth recycle thoise old bikes
By NANCY H. GONTER
>From The Hampshire/Franklin County Republican  Monday, January 26, 2004

HAYDENVILLE - Thirteen-year-old Liam N. Richardson rides a bicycle all the time
in good weather, but has never known how to fix it.  Now, Liam and 10 other
students at the Hilltown Cooperative Charter School are getting the chance to
learn how to fix their own bikes and at the same time helping to restore old
bicylces that will be given to needy children.

"We're going to be building bikes for people who can't afford them.  I think
bikes are a fun thing, and it would be nice to give bikes to people who want
them and can't have them," said Liam, a Northampton resident and an eigth-
grader at the school.

Two members of the Hawley based Student Conservation Association, Jacob A.
DeMott and Noah D. Pollock, who teach environmental education at the charter
school, are working with pupils after school in the Hilltown Bike Club.

This gives students an opportunity to participate in a meaningful community
service project while developing the skills to service their own bikes, and
fosters both their independent and cooperative working skills," DeMott said.

Pupils involved in the program said they love having the opportunity to learn
about bicycles.

Kirin S. Bourgeois, 12, a sixth-grader from Goshen, said he has a few bikes at
home and they all need work.  Two were donated to the program.

"I think I could have fun fixing up my bikes and maybe I could make a living
out of it and donate them to people who can't buy bikes," Kirin said.

Harpo Marchand Jaeger, 12, a seventh-grader from Northampton, said he already
knew a little about fixing bikes because his dad taught him.

"I'm finding I know a lot less about bikes that I thought I did and that this
is very fun to do.  I think it's really cool to be able to build your own
bike," he said.