[YellowBike] another yellowbike fixing day on Friday!

Aaron F. Wieler afw01 at stout.hampshire.edu
Wed Feb 11 10:03:36 EST 2004

Hi all. Last friday more than 10 people showed up, and we fixed 15 bikes,
which may be a record.

Because we didn't release the bikes (because of the snow, and because phys
plant likes to run over yellowbikes), we don't have many broken bikes to
fix.

However, there's hope: I would like to offer a little "class/lesson" on
fixing different bike components in depth. I was thinking that at 12:00 on
friday, I would do a workshop on hub repair. That's the part with the
bearings at the center of each wheel. It's on of the more technically
challenging parts of fixing bikes, but it's not hard once you know how. So
if you're up for it, stop by at 12:00 noon, grab a wheel, and we'll take
apart, clean, grease, reassemble, and adjust wheel hubs for 1/2 hour or
so.

Or, come by anytime between 11:00 and 3:00 and we'll be working on fixing
up broken yellowbikes, and fine-tuning the already-fixed yellowbikes, so in
a few weeks we can have a massive yellowbike release to the campus.

What do you think about having a yellowbike ride around the campus on
release day? I think it could serve to raise awareness of yellowbike
issues (like "don't break them because real people have to fix them"), and
be a lot of fun.

rubber side down, yellow side up
-aaron