[Quaker] Colleges Against Climate Silence Rally

ek11 at hampshire.edu ek11 at hampshire.edu
Sun Nov 18 21:44:53 EST 2012

Hello, we would really appreciate if you could send this out to your
respective listservs so that it can reach as many people as possible.
We would like people with all different interests and passions to
think about how the climate crisis has effected them and then bring
those diverse perspectives to the rally.  For example, the Cheese
student group might bring the perspective of small-scale dairy farmers
and cheese makers while the Classism student group could bring the
perspective of environmental justice as public health issues.  Also,
any way that you all could help put the word out would be much
appreciated!  Hope to see you all there!

Colleges Against Climate Silence Rally
End the Silence.  Join the Conversation.

Dear friends,

This year, the largest storm to ever hit the east coast left
communities devastated; the country?s worst drought in over fifty
years left crops withered, and yet the climate crisis was not
mentioned in the presidential debates for the first time in a
generation.  As 2012 fossil fuel subsidies approach $1 trillion, it?s
become clear that politicians believe that by ignoring the problem, it
will go away.

As college students, we will not ignore the climate crisis. We stand
on the precipice of great change. Whether for the better or the worse,
it is up to us, the generation that has the most at stake. It?s time
for us to defend our futures. It?s time for us to mobilize.

On Saturday December 1st, college students will be gathering on the
Amherst Green and rallying to end the silence surrounding the climate
crisis.

This will be a way for all those feeling frustrated, angry, and
disillusioned with the silence to channel our energy and passion
towards a constructive end. By uniting in our common cause we will
strengthen our community within the Consortium and the Valley, and
hopefully spark similar actions in colleges and communities across the
nation.  We have something  to say, and it?s time for us to make
ourselves heard.

Our goal is to have enough people present to encircle the Green.  This
is ambitious, so tell your friends, classes, student groups; TELL
EVERYONE!

Throughout the event, we will be circulating a petition to ask
Elizabeth Warren to end fossil fuel subsidies in Massachusetts AND a
petition to pressure the Five College Consortium to divest from fossil
fuels.

Schedule of events:

2:00pm- Meet on the Green for rally and musical performances

3:00pm- Student speeches followed by open mic (personal testimonials-
how has the climate crisis affected YOU!)

4:00pm- Spread out to encircle the Green, then meet with local
environmental organizations.

Share/RSVP on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/events/371024976316844/?fref=ts

Share on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CollegesEndCS

Our futures are at stake, let's get to work.

Contact:
Emily Keppler/ ek11 at hampshire.edu
Laura Hayden/ hayde22l at mtholyoke.edu
Deidre Nelms/ dnelms13 at amherst.edu