[Push] First Actual GP Runs

Lee Spector lspector at hampshire.edu
Sun May 2 10:11:56 EDT 2010

Hi Rud,

Yes -- running random code is a good way to find bugs!

With no genetic operators your improvement in population fitness was just the concentration of the initially better programs in the population, but I see that that's useful for debugging too.

To get more evolution happening you'll want not only genetic operators but also a fitness test that provides more of a gradient -- presumably a term (aside from the penalties for no integer or non-completion) that gives a heuristic indication of how far a candidate is from being a solution. In your present case that's probably just the difference between the result and 5.

 -Lee