[Push] No Name type and Define instructions in psh?

Lee Spector lspector at hampshire.edu
Fri Jun 25 17:57:29 EDT 2010

FWIW I've been slack in implementing names in my recent implementations (schush and clojush) in part because I've never found names to matter much in evolution. They're great for demonstrating the language and for writing code manually, but I've tried in vain to produce evolutionary conditions in which they help to solve a problem. I would love to see an example in which they help.

John might have neglected names in Psh 0.1 because I infected him with my name-related pessimism. I'm a name fan in principle, except that (A) I haven't seen their utility in (evolutionary) practice, and (B) there's still something not quite right, or at least inelegant, in the distinction between first and subsequent uses in the Push3 name spec. I plan to add them to clojush (the environment I'm personally working in most at the moment), although I haven't been jumping to do it.

On the other hand I've recently had conversations (I think with Bill Tozier?) in which the importance of Push names was being asserted with gusto. Now that I type this I realize that this may have been the context of one of his systems (Nudge?) in which everything is quoted, and I may be merging my Tozier conversation with a Keijzer conversation about a push successor he's working on...

 -Lee