[Push] Type literals

PerPlex Ed edperplex at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 18 16:45:04 EDT 2010

Sorry for my email problems.

So a procedural definition of Env.Types is

take a program from the code stack and check if the the program is a sequence. If it's not a sequence the instruction falls back to a no-op. If it's a sequence, for each name in the sequence,                     look if there is a type with the same name and add it to the list of enabled types.
What about non-names in the sequence? Should they be ignored or cause a total no-op?
If you don't comment on this, I'll assume that the official specification is that names that don't correspond to any type will just be ignored.

> In Push 3 a type name, like INTEGER, is just a symbol that's not a known instruction, so it should go on the NAME stack. Which would be a little confusing, I agree, but I think that's the specified behavior -- it would be a name that has nothing intrinsic to do with the type that it names.

> Unless you include the type name in your instruction set, or provide some other way for it to get into non-configuration code, I don't see how this could affect evolutionary dynamics or GP results.

Yes, what I meant is that currently my implementation has a "type" type but I'm going to remove it right away. It all came out from implementation details but I don't need it for any other purposes. I prefer to be able to compare what I do with other people, at the moment.

Thanks.